1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have yet to own a 1911, but I've become fascinated by them! I was shopping for a 1911 online and noticed that Chip McCormick, Inc offers the short block kits.

I would like to learn more about the internals of the 1911. Is getting all these 'pre-fitted' parts and assembling them a doable project?

What tools will I need to complete it? I will be getting the 1911 Shop manuals in order to undertake this project.

What is your opinion on this?

By the way, I don't necessarily need to shoot the gun. I'll have it looked over by a certified gunsmith prior to use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just a thought. You might consider a Dan Wesson Arms kit gun they look reasonably priced and for your first try it might go a little better on the build,instead of mixing and matching parts that alot of fitting may be required.(i.e. alot of scrap parts,ask me how I know).:biglaugh:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be using all CM parts...the ones that are listed as "pre-fitted". How much actual fitting will be required? I'm assuming that I'll have to do a little bit.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have learned from the many knowledable people here that there is such thing as a prefitted part for a 1911,

you may get very very lucky once in a while and not have to file but you should read, practice and prepare to file.

some will be easy some will be hard,

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you get a barrel pre-fit to a slide and the slide pre-fit to the frame, you are 90% there. There are many people out there that make short block kits. These typically have the barrel, slide, and frame pre-fit. All you have to do is stake the plunger tube (VERY easy with the right tool), drop in MOST of the parts, but the trigger top and bottom, trigger stirrup (bow), grip safety, and thumb safety WILL require custom fitting.

The grip safey interrupts the trigger bow from moving to the rear and requires fitting to have the right amount of disengagement. The thumb safety interrupts the sear travel and will likewise need to be CAREFULLY fitted so that it properly engages the sear when up and smoothly disengages it when flicked off. There is a fairly fine line on this one part between too much and too little filing. DO NOT use a Dremel for this part!

Right now, I am building up a custom 1911 in .22lr for my 10 year old daughter. I am using the Kimber (Ciener) RImfire Target slide on top of one of those new DoubleStar arms frames. The frame was only $110 out the door at the last gunshow and is of surprisingly high quality. In fact, the dealer also had Caspian frames but the slide stop holes did not properly match up! They were about 1/8 of an inch+ out of spec! I am also using all SV trigger and hammer components and will tune it to a 3 lb. pull for her. It will also have a CM ambi safety, Ed Brown magwell, and thin grips for her small hands. Its going to be very trick and a HELL of a lot more fun than just buying a 1911 in the box!

So, build it and HAVE FUN!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts