1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing a build and would like some opinions/adivice on the way the slide aligns with the dust cover. I would like for the curved portion of the slide to align with the end of the dust cover. Please see photograph. Is there a way to do this or is this just the way it is? I've looked at my 1911's and the slides all seem to line up with frames. Comments appreciated.
Bill

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Aligning the slide to the dust cover

The amount of "forward" location of the slide is often determined by the way the lower lugs of the barrel are cut, and line up with the slide stop pin. The deeper the lugs are cut, the more the slide will move forward, often to the point that the back of the frame needs to be blended to the slide. Blending the back of the frame to the slide is not uncommon, and I have done this a few times on my gun builds....it's a matter of filing and sandpaper!

·
Premium Member
14,649 Posts
The slide to frame alignment is all about the barrel and should be. If the barrel is correctly fit and proven at the range, then the rear slide to farme can be blended. The railed dust cover to slide cuts can also be treated to a cut that may be more pleasing. It could be cut back, or a reverse cut can be done such as this picture.

LOG

·
Premium Member
11,671 Posts
You can pick your own profile within reasonable limits. You might take a piece of stiff paper and trace the slide profile directly above your dust cover, trim it along the line, invert on your dust cover, mark it, and blend to suit your taste. That would give you something very similar to the pic that log man posted.

Depending on just how long the dust cover is relative to the slide's recoil spring tunnel, you could possibly shorten the dust cover a good bit. Whether that would get you to the point you have marked will depend on the slide and frame.

Or you might do a combination of the two methods.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Whatever you do, don't take too much off the frame. Leave sufficient overlap, otherwise you would be left with a rather unsightly gap (it would be butt ugly is what I actually meant to say).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts