1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? I don't recall my AT X-Tac doing this but my CQB is. I've put 300 rounds through it and bought it new. It's a little dinged/chipped area from the brass ejecting. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440081094.335018.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440081103.012794.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440081110.196167.jpg

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
There was a long thread on brass kisses a while back. Try the search function. Some let it go-some put tape in the spot at the range.

·
Registered
962 Posts
AS FBF said it happens. Some live with others tape it but there isn't a way to avoid it. If it really bothers you shoot the heck out of it then send it back for new AT finish, then tape it so it doesn't happen again :)

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Sometimes a little extractor adjustment will resolve it, sometimes different ammo. There are other things but since the gun is new you can tape it up and run it for another 200-500 rounds then see how it is. The issue sometimes wanes as the extractor breaks in and bleeds off some initial tension.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes. First day out with the new CQB brass bounces off partition between range lanes comes back and chips the armor tough. Now it's not perfect, I have my first ding and like a first ding or scratch in a new car.........I can relax now and have more fun.

I plan to nitride the upper in the future. Melonite/nitride treatment is impervious to dings and chips. I would have ordered the CQB that way but not offered by Wilson. They said they prefer softer finishes because they are easier to strip off and refinish. I prefer a hard use one time finish which I'll get the next time around.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I think of them like my first wound, the scars are kind of a badge of honor. You really can't stop them from happening, so I accept them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm at work and can't really get a good pic, but for what it's worth, here is my CQBE. The gun's just over 500 rounds. The first 200 were a mix of Federal, PMC, and Magtech. I never got a mark that I can remember. I bought a case of Sellier & Bellot and immediately started noticing the marks. The S&B is hotter, both to me and my shooting buddies, and this is after roughly 350 rounds of it.

You can't tune an extractor to extract every variation of ammo the same way, so I understand why it's there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's quite normal and adds character. Shoot the crap out of it and forget about it. Get another one that's blued and make it your safe queen. These are tools and should be used as such. I never had any trouble with rust in the areas that had the AT scraped, but I take care of my guns and don't live by the sea. If you are near the sea, then you might consider a metal treatment such as nitride or hard chrome.

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
All good replies above. If you have a rarely used, pristine condition 1911 (safe queen, etc.) that you wish to preserve in pristine condition and shoot occasionally, use tape (but it is a hassle).

Otherwise, brass chips are generally part and parcel of the 1911 experience.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
True.

All good replies above. If you have a rarely used, pristine condition 1911 (safe queen, etc.) that you wish to preserve in pristine condition and shoot occasionally, use tape (but it is a hassle).

Otherwise, brass chips are generally part and parcel of the 1911 experience.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You either shoot 'em or show 'em. I shoot 'em.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is this normal? I don't recall my AT X-Tac doing this but my CQB is. I've put 300 rounds through it and bought it new. It's a little dinged/chipped area from the brass ejecting. View attachment 150788
View attachment 150789
View attachment 150790
Don't be alarmed! Armor Tuff is basically like paint and will show wear VERY quickly if used. Send it off to Metaloy Industries and have them Hard Chrome the gun and NEVER look back at all your rub marks and scratches!

Here's my Hard Chrome one:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
OP, you can use tape as mentioned or shoot and forget. The beauty of the spray and bake finishes is how easy and inexpensive (compared to other finishes) to reapply if you want to.

·
Banned
3,845 Posts
That is a known problem for these less costly to apply finishes. Just know it going in---like to think of the finish mentioned in this thread as the "spray and bake profit enhancer".. Bill likes his big ranch to entertain at. The finish really is sub standard for anything except a safe queen.

·
Premium Member
13,776 Posts
Super,

Just do a mental-reframe and embrace the Kisses, and if you keep putting in range-time, you may beat me this year in the annual WC Brass-Kisses contest. I do have an edge though with a light-colored slide...Reminds me, I need to start the 2015 Contest thread.:)
C.A.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Will Wilson honor warranty work to a pistol that has been Hard Chrome?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have two guns that don't do this, and one that did. The two that don't are Volkmann's. The one that did was a Kimber. I used to put a film of silicone grease on the Kimber and that seemed to stop the marks. I also was told by one of the premier gunsmiths that my recoil spring might need replaced, and that if it continued, he could tune it to eliminate it, but would require one kind of ammo. The Kimber recoil spring on their 4" model is only good for 600 rounds, but it helped.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen it more often than not

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've had a number of Wilson firearms in AT and virtually all of them showed finish destruction behind the ejection port. Despite the semi-snarky remarks telling me to "man up" I've always felt that this was not acceptable, especially because my other guns ("lesser" brands not costing $3000 plus) do not evidence this wear and I shoot them plenty. Because of the "kisses" issue, my current Wilson is stainless.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've had a number of Wilson firearms in AT and virtually all of them showed finish destruction behind the ejection port. Despite the semi-snarky remarks telling me to "man up" I've always felt that this was not acceptable, especially because my other guns ("lesser" brands not costing $3000 plus) do not evidence this wear and I shoot them plenty. Because of the "kisses" issue, my current Wilson is stainless.
At the risk of being snarked at, I agree. The fact that there are much less expensive, reliable guns out there that don't leave brass kisses, I'd expect that from a Wilson.

I'm fussy, but that is why I pay more for customs.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Some of my Wilson's do and some don't . They can be tuned to eliminate brass kisses.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts