1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad tells a story of when he was child, he would give his bus driver his shotgun, and in the evening the bus driver would give it back to my dad and drop him off down the road. My dad would then squirrel hunt the rest of the way home. This was in the 50's

I received my first gun at 12 as a Christmas present, an 870 LW Wingmaster in 20ga. My first pistol was probably at about 26, and was a S&W 4006.

My son is 14 and has a gun cabinet in his room, with his old Cricket, a 30-30 Marlin, a poke stock 20 ga., a recurve bow, and a few pellet guns.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Somewhere between the age of 12 & 14 (can't remember for sure).
But the first gun was a single shot/breech action .410 shotgun.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Technically it became mine the day I was born, but I didn't know it until my 10th birthday. I opened a heavy present that turned out to be a box of .22 shorts and got confused. Then Dad brought out my rifle, a Winchester 1890 that was purchased new by my grandfather's uncle, and gave it to me. Naturally I was only allowed to touch it while shooting with my father for several more years, but that was when I began shooting my own rifle.

·
Registered
23,223 Posts
I shot my first rifle and revolver when I was 6. The rifle was a Marlin .22 lever action and the pistol was a Ruger Single Six. These belonged to my dad as did the Ruger MkI I shot when I was 7. When I was 9 my grandmother asked me to clean out an old shed for a widow lady friend of hers and I got a few bucks for doing it. I found an old, like pre WWI 1911 with its slide locked back and rusted.

Even in that condition she would not give it to me but gave it to my grandfather. With the help of my grandfather who was in WWI, my father who was in WWII, and an uncle who was in Korea I got it working. Also of massive help was an Army/Navy store with bins full of used 1911 parts for almost nothing. Everything except the slide and frame.

Got it working and shot it just before my 10th birthday. Did not even think it kicked much as by that time I had shot my Dad's 357 mag. Ruger Blackhawk.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I think I was 15 when I bought my first gun, a Winchester 12 gauge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Harrison .410 at age 8. When not in school or working on the farm I was issued two shells and allowed to hunt our farm land. If I wasted a shot I wasn't allowed to hunt for a week. I learned early on not to miss. By the time I was 10 I was earning enough money to buy my own ammo and graduated to a 20 gauge.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Around 8 I started shooting, at 18 I bought a shotgun, and at 21 I bought a revolver.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
Got the .22 rifle for Christmas, three weeks after I'd turned 11.

·
Registered
490 Posts
DNADave said:
My dad tells a story of when he was child, he would give his bus driver his shotgun, and in the evening the bus driver would give it back to my dad and drop him off down the road. My dad would then squirrel hunt the rest of the way home. This was in the 50's
When I was 9 my grandmother asked me to clean out an old shed for a widow lady friend of hers and I got a few bucks for doing it. I found an old, like pre WWI 1911 with its slide locked back and rusted.

Even in that condition she would not give it to me but gave it to my grandfather. With the help of my grandfather who was in WWI, my father who was in WWII, and an uncle who was in Korea I got it working. Also of massive help was an Army/Navy store with bins full of used 1911 parts for almost nothing. Everything except the slide and frame.

Got it working and shot it just before my 10th birthday. Did not even think it kicked much as by that time I had shot my Dad's 357 mag. Ruger Blackhawk.
Great stories! First BB/pellet pistol was a 1911 replica that my Dad shot with me when I was about 8. First firearm arrived when I was 39. Too long.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
At 12 my dad gave me a .22 rifle. At 18 I bought my first handgun, a S&W .22 revolver, but my dad had to actually buy it. I still have both of them.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
9 years old I received my uncle's Remington 510 Scoremaster .22LR. I had been shooting and cleaning my uncle's firearms for awhile before that. I would spend entire days in the Summer with my friend on some of the islands (with permission of the foreman or land owner) in the San Joaquin Delta and shoot rats with the levees as backstops.

I still have this rifle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I first shot a rifle at age 9, an old barrel fed .22 lr, at about 12 we were allowed to take it and go shooting unsupervised whenever we wanted. I joined the Army National Guard when I was 17 and fired everything the Infantry had. When I turned 18 I bought my first rifle, a Marlin .22 Mag bolt action, very accurate. I bought my first handgun when I was 22, S&W Chief Special 9mm.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
My Dad provided a pistol for both my brother and I when we turned 16 and were able to drive alone. I shot all his guns previous to that;but, a single action 22lr revolver(Spesco) was the first gun that was mine and only mine. Still have it. It came with a .22 magnum cylinder;never shot magnums much. Probably why the gun still functions.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Age 38. Ruger Mark II.

My son who is 8 is getting a CZ-452 Scout for Xmas.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts