1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ordering some reloading equipment on Jan. 25th, a VLD deburring tool and such, about a $46.00 order, and ordered with my Visa bank card.
Yesterday (Sunday, the 27th) afternoon, I get a phone call from Carolina First bank's Fraud Dept. He asked if he were talking to me, confirmed that with some numbers, DOB, etc, then advised me that my account was almost $1000 overdrawn!! He named off several websites and order amounts (Ipod stuff, something called bluecom or something) and also said my Midwayusa.com order. I told him that I made the Midwayusa.com order, but had no knowledge of any of the other orders!
I am a PC technician - and I KNOW (or at least thought I knew lol) about home PC security, as I have top of the line firewall, spyware, and antivirus software running all the time. But this would mean that the "hacker" got my information from Midway! They "seem" to have just as secure of an online ordering system as anyone else does, and I can't figure out how this happened.
Anyways, I went to my bank this morning, to see if I would have to pay for any of the hacker's toys, and fortunately, the fraud dept. had shut down my card, and removed all of the unauthorized debits, and to top it off, traced it back to the person responsible, and IS pressing charges. Thank God.
The reason I am writing this, is today, I found out from the bank official, and from the Sheriff's Dept., that this happens daily, and a lot of the time, the person is never caught, and the victim is stuck with paying HIS debt!
Please protect yourselves, and be careful when ordering anything online! Make sure your bank has protection against this sort of thing, as mine did (which I didn't even know about until today). From now on, when I want to do a mail order, I'm going to find all my items online, then call them in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.