1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VOTE FOR IT!!!

It completly changes the way districts are drawn up. It would remove power from the Legislature and give it to a panel of three retired judges who would draw up political boundries.

Prop 77 would boost the number of competitive seats in Cal politics to:
Ten in the U.S House of Representatives, compared to none today.
Seven in the state Assembly, compared to three today.
Eight in the state Senate, compared to one today.

That's TWENTY ONE more seats folks. Think about that for awhile.

It would make politicions less secure and force them to be more responsive to constituents.

Think about this:
None of the 153 legislative or congressional seats in the 2004 election changed party hands. Prop 77 would play a significant role in restoring competion to California politics.

This is our chance to take our state back from the jackbooted liberals. It's our chance to get our ridiculous and restrictive gun laws repealed.

This is our best shot for ever getting a "shall issue" ccw here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ranger said:
Well, you did try, but this pretty hard to construe as firearms related, much less 1911-related...

Sounds like a good idea though.
Yes it is firearms related. If you look at the election map of Cal you'll see the majority of the state is red. It takes all of the power away from the major metropolitan areas like So Cal and the bay area and redistributes it through out the rest of the state. That gives us a chance to elect pro gun politicions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After many years of watching our rights eroded here in California and feeling helpless, this sounds encouraging.

Many shooters in other states would rather make fun or spell California with a "K", yet others in a more extreme reaction leave the state entirely ( I have entertained the thought but it was for the ridiculous real estate situation).

What most folks forget is that California has become the "test bed" for Social Architecture, and sad but true teh rest of the country generally follows suit, whether its "cRap" music or baggy pants that show off an entire generations boxers.

We need to not loose sight of the fact that regardless of what State you call home, we all owe our freedoms to the same Constitution that so many have bravely defended.

"All gave some, some gave all" The least we can do is pick up the phone or e-mail the appropriate Hacks that "represent" us.

·
Registered
573 Posts
magsnubby said:
VOTE FOR IT!!!
It's certainly worthy of consideration, but I'll have look at it as carefully as I can before I vote.

This is our chance to take our state back from the jackbooted liberals.
Funny thing about the liberals in Sacramento: they're not truly liberal! If they were, all of the beaches would be clothing optional! :D And they would live up to my signature! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
In is gun related in this sense: in Kali, we currently can't punish the legistlature for the assinine gun control laws they create. A great portion of that is due to the way current district lines are drawn. If you don't believe it's out of control take a look at these samples of some current district lines. Our lawmakers need to be held accountable and with this kind of so-called representation that just isn't possible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
General Rule

Vote for anything that has a commerical stating Arnold hates teachers and disabled midgets or any that say we are taking their money away etc...if a union says vote no...then vote yes and Cali will be a better place.

·
Registered
948 Posts
magsnubby said:
This is our chance to take our state back from the jackbooted liberals. It's our chance to get our ridiculous and restrictive gun laws repealed.
This is our best shot for ever getting a "shall issue" ccw here.
I'm not from California - so please forgive my ignorance.

But... how will this NOT backfire? Isn't this going to just put more liberals in places we don't want them to be? Won't this just help put more anti-gun folks in the federal legislature as the metripolitan areas grow?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
I'm not from California - so please forgive my ignorance.

But... how will this NOT backfire? Isn't this going to just put more liberals in places we don't want them to be? Won't this just help put more anti-gun folks in the federal legislature as the metripolitan areas grow?
Actually, no. If the districts are drawn realistically to represent people in the same neighborhood, you find that the demographics are spread fairly evenly even in urban centers. How they will vote might be another matter, but current district lines exist for one reason, to protect incumbents. Since a majority of these incumbents are Democrats, you can see where this has taken us. Just because some districts protect Republicans still doesn't make it right. Overall, there is more of a chance of getting an independent or Republican representative in where Democrats currently hold a chokehold on the district.

·
Registered
909 Posts
yes Prop. 77 is firearms related!

If Cal. changes some of their ignorant firearms laws, then you can own a normal 1911.

Just how related to real life is a firearms drop test? Does the average home have steel plates on the floor, that a homeowner might accidently drop his firearm on ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
California and "normal" 1911

major caliber:

Forgive the ignorance, but what 1911s are prohibited by California?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
You could make the same case that it's abortion-related, prayer-in-schools- related, or Under-God-in-the-pledge-of-allegiance-related, or pick any issue.

It's like saying we can post articles about the supreme court confirmation hearings here, because they might be asked to judge a case on firearms.

Or that we could post any story about any crime here, because either a gun was used, or if the victim had had a gun the crime might not have happened.

I still say it's a good idea. And still it's not 1911 related, any more than it is giving-illegal-immigrants-drivers-licenses related. But who cares, post away!

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
aggiesq said:
major caliber:

Forgive the ignorance, but what 1911s are prohibited by California?
First, welcome aboard.
I'll try to answer that question the best I can (people more familiar with California law can correct what I get wrong). For any given model of gun to be legal for sale in California, the manufacturer must submit a sample (actually, I think it's 2 samples) for "safety testing," which involves dropping it--I guess on a steel plate (from a specific height--can't remember what that is) to make sure that it won't fire under such conditions. The guns are destroyed after testing. I think the manufacturer is also charged a fee for the "privelege" of having this test done, so they can sell their guns there. This means that for many of the smaller makers of high end guns, there is insufficient economic incentive to go through this process, meaning their guns are unavailable to California residents.
Am I close, guys?

·
Registered
573 Posts
kjhof is on the right track. The extra details that I know of is that these drop tests involve dropping a loaded handgun (this goes beyond M1911s) six different ways. But this alarm should come up: it doesn't matter how awesome the gun is - you simply DON'T drop a loaded gun! Click here to read all of the horrifying details! It costs the gun manufacturer $200 a month to keep ONE model of handgun on the approved list. If the manufacturer merely changes a cosmetic feature on a handgun and gives it a new name, the drop tests are required AGAIN before it can be sold! :barf:

I don't know how much tax dollars it costs to operate this ludicrous lab, but somehow, I believe that $200 per gun per month fee doesn't cover it. :barf: And don't get me started on how the money could've been better spent!

Here's very specific example: as much as I'd like to buy the Kimber Warrior, I totally understand why Kimber hasn't sent any to the borderline communist state I live in. But it remains an unpleasant thought. :bawling:

Click here to see what handguns are certified for sale... and another example of my tax dollars being wasted.:mummy:

·
Registered
573 Posts
kjhof said:
Thanks, Arch--jeez, it's even worse than I thought. You guys might have it worse than we do here in IL, after all.
You're welcome. It looks like a give and take situation. One example is the Nazi-like FOID IL residents need before any kind of gun or ammo can be bought versus the handgun safety certificate CA residents need before handguns can be bought (but no certificate or special ID needed for buying long guns and ammo). There's a sign of hope for both states: I've talked to a number of people, regardless of their political views, who simply recognize the universal flaw of all restrictive gun laws - criminals don't obey them and they don't stop crime!

I hope IL doesn't copy the "assault weapon" ban that CA still has...

And Prop. 77 might be the wake up call that so many politicians are overdue for. CA has 41 state senators and 80 assembly members. Check this out to see how many of them support this proposition; I think it's quite illuminating.

Here's another example of why I have a problem with seeing Democrats as true liberals! :eek::mad: Do we really need to provide more excuses for criminal behavior? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.