1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The frame on my pre-series 80 Commander has developed cracks in the dustcover in front of the slide rails. I have carried this piece for years and used it in training over 3000 people for thier CCWs in Arkansas. I carry Colts exclusively (my pocket pistol is a Colt Agent) and I don't want to resort to an aftermarket frame. Is it posible to send this one in for repair or to obtain a Lwt Commander or Officer's frame as a replacement? Any help/advice you could give me will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
The same thing happend to my 38 Super Commander after 180,000 rounds.I really miss it.I just pick up a LWT 45 Commander to replace it.

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Straight

·
Registered
83 Posts
First thing you need to do is read Colt's Lifetime Service Agreement located here: http://www.colt.com/colt/html/c2_lifetimeservice.html . Then, if you meet the criteria listed there, you can call them at the number listed on the customer service page to find out if they can help you with replacing your frame. If they can, it would probably have to be replaced with a series 80 frame. I wouldn't expect them to have any pre-series 80 frames laying around after 20 years. But, you never know, maybe they do. Another thing I wouldn't expect is to receive customer support from a website that they have no official connection to.

[This message has been edited by Marbo (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Marbo:
First thing you need to do is read Colt's Lifetime Service Agreement located here: http://www.colt.com/colt/html/c2_lifetimeservice.html . Then, if you meet the criteria listed there, you can call them at the number listed on the customer service page to find out if they can help you with replacing your frame. If they can, it would probably have to be replaced with a series 80 frame. I wouldn't expect them to have any pre-series 80 frames laying around after 20 years. But, you never know, maybe they do. Another thing I wouldn't expect is to receive customer support from a website that they have no official connection to.

[This message has been edited by Marbo (edited 10-28-2001).]
I would imagine that the moly resin finish and ed brown beavertail cut would qualify as gunsmith tuned other than at the Colt custom shop and void thier lifetime warranty. I was hoping that I could send in the frame and buy a repalcement. If that don't work I'll have a Titanium officer size frame mated to a Caspain barstock commander length slide and quit carrying my Colt Autos.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Timg

You may want to reconsider the titanium frame. Titanium is probably not the best choice of material for a firearm. First it is difficult to machine, which will make it expensive. Second, it does not flex so all of the recoil force developed by the slide hitting the stops will be transmitted into your hand. And last, titanium is prone to catastrophic failure. It will last a long time, and I won't hazard a guess concerning how long, but when it fails it will dramatic.

So, before you buy the titanium frame I suggest that you find someone that has a Tauras Titanium revolver and give it a try. Most people I have known that have fired one of these revolvers did not shoot them more than 3 rounds. Second, price aluminum frames against the titanium, aluminum is probably a lot less expensive.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Str8_Shot:
Timg

You may want to reconsider the titanium frame. Titanium is probably not the best choice of material for a firearm. First it is difficult to machine, which will make it expensive. Second, it does not flex so all of the recoil force developed by the slide hitting the stops will be transmitted into your hand. And last, titanium is prone to catastrophic failure. It will last a long time, and I won't hazard a guess concerning how long, but when it fails it will dramatic.

So, before you buy the titanium frame I suggest that you find someone that has a Tauras Titanium revolver and give it a try. Most people I have known that have fired one of these revolvers did not shoot them more than 3 rounds. Second, price aluminum frames against the titanium, aluminum is probably a lot less expensive.

I hope this helps.
Well, I finally talked to Cindy at Colt. She was the only person in thier customer service dept. that had a clue about thier business. She was very nice and of no help at all. Colt will not replace a series 70 type frame with a series 80 frame even though they will work. I would have been happy to ship my slide in for the 80 series mods but that wasn't an option. I understand thier inablitiy to stock parts for discontinued models but the lack of effort to remedy my problem has sold a new Caspian Titanium frame and stainless slide. I'll build a new gun and use it for teaching rather than buy an XSE Commander. I would prefer to use a Colt but thier policy doesn't help me out with it. Don't misunderstand this. I'm sure Cindy would have been a great help had Colt's company policy allowed and I was/am more than willing to pay for a repalcement frame if Colt would like to install it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, if you're going to stop using all your Colt autos because they won't replace the frame on a 20 year old customized pistol, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who would be happy to take them off your hands for a fair price. Just more for the rest of us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts