1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy picked up his Stainless TRP today. I've been shooting and working on 1911s for 10+ years now and this is his first 1911. He brought it over to have me look it over and show him how to strip/clean/lube it.

I was pretty darned impressed. Everything seemed to be pretty premium and the slide to frame fit was extraordinary. However there was one problem that I notied. There seemed to be a casting or milling error inside the magwell that started about 1/2 " inch from the bottom front and went up to about 1/4" inch from the ramp surface. It is a significantly deep, repetitive gouge that almost looks like a power-tool-driven scuff or scar. It does not seem to affect the magazine insertion or release. It is deep but probably does not jeopardize the structural integrity of the frame. It does, however, gall me and the new owner. It is not a cheap piece and to now know of this imperfection truly bothers him.

My question to the forum is a two parter-
a). have you seen this on other examples of Springfield?
b). what would you do if this was yours?

Any

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
may be tough...not my gun. Next time he's over I'll snap a pic.

Let's put it this way..it's deep enough that you could rasp wood on it. We aren't talking scratches we're talking measurable voids in the metal.:barf:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just bought a new black stainless loaded 10 days ago. No marks like that in it. It is my first SA and I would be very upset if it were mine and had that error. Would do all I could to replace it before firing it.

Have several Colts and have not seen anything like that. Agree some kind of CNC machine mess up probably.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
45 THUD,

This doesn't sound like anything I would consider normal. I would take several well lit digital pics (post some for our info), and attach them in an e-mail to Deb at Springfield's Custom Shop [email protected] . The pics will help her understand the concern, and limit some of the questions that are bound to pop up. From then on you are in good hands. Deb is kind, professional, and driven. That TRP will be right!

Be well!

Damian

·
Administrator
13,263 Posts
Good advice from Damian . It's not supposed to be there . Your friend is disturbed by it . Let Springfield take a look .

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
My stainless TRP has no such tool marks.

Only the owner can decide if it bugs him enough to want it fixed or exchanged (welding vs. new frame), but if the gouge thins the frontstrap significantly, I'd want it fixed, even if it doesn't interfere with mag loading. After all, he paid more for the gun because it's a "TRP" rather than just a "Loaded", and it oughta be right!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would call Springfield and send it back. I think they will replace
it with a new gun. They did for me when I had a cosmetic problem
with my v-16 longslide. BTW they will pay shipping both ways.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My TRP Operator had a few tooling marks on the slide and frame. I posted a few pics of "chips" near the ejection port. Also there was a scratch on the slide that I have no idea where it came from but I got over it.

My TRP Op is hopfully being sent back to SA this Tues for repair. If not I have to wait till Dec. 2 The store is slow at shipping out guns.

My ejector is loose and the barrel link broke off. No idea what happened. The extractor is very loose as well. I'm not sure how long its going to take to get the gun back. I know I asked this before but typically how long does a warranty issue take?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry to see that you've had that many problems with the TRP. As far as how long to get it back...I've heard of Springfield getting guns back to their owners in a week and then I've also heard as long as 4 weeks. It just depends on how many guns are ahead of yours that they have to work on. The major point here is that Springfield does the job right (which is usually the case) the first time. I believe you can call Springfield after a few day from when you ship it to them and they will give you an anticipated date of return.

If you haven't done so, you'll need to call them first to get a repair number and an UPS authorization number to ship it back to them. For better service, you'll need the repair number to find out any status of your gun once you've shipped it back to them.

·
Registered
893 Posts
45Thud,

My SS SA TRP has the same item as that of your friend. It has an NM prefix serial number (no Brazil or Imbel markings at all anywhere) and has been an excellent pistol. The line does not bother me in the least, and it is not visible unless you look for it.

In my opinion it appears to be consistent with a TIG weld line.

There is no equivalent line on my SA Professional Model.

If I had to guess as to the reason for this, I might think the original SA blocky front strap was removed on the TRP NM frames, and a new, recontoured piece welded into place, then checkered.

Externally the piece is flawless, though, and under polarized light shows no external sign of a weld line. I could certainly be wrong about this but that is what it looks like to me.

As I said, it is of no concern to me. My TRP has run for many thousands of rounds flawlessly. Therefore I would do nothing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
the store where I bought it from is supposed to take care of the return. as of today they said they will call SA Dec. 1st. :rolleyes: i don't know what takes them so long. They are supposed to pack the thing up for me and if there are shipping costs - the store will take care of it.

I hope its a few days. Its one of my faves!

·
Registered
94 Posts
ol1911

As I implied earlier, you can avoid waiting on the gun retailer to get around to sending your gun back to SA. He's probably going to wait until he's receiving a shipment of guns via UPS and then give them the gun to take back with them for shipping. That's what the shop that I deal with does. They don't go out of their way for this because there's no profit in the pocket for doing this. There is no cost by SA to you for shipping either way. If the dealer wants to charge you anything, it's for his time.

For future returns (if necessary), all you need to do is to call SA; they'll give you a repair number and a UPS code number for UPS shipping. You take your gun (boxed and labeled for SA) to UPS and they ship it overnight to SA. (This will save you down time waiting on someone else to do this for you.) When SA has completed your work, they'll ship the gun directly to your home.

You might want to check with the dealer to see if he can get you the repair order number so you can check on the status of your repair in a week or so...that is to see when they will be getting to your repair(s) and anticipated date of shipping it back to you.

Good Luck and Good Shooting. Enjoy the TRP!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Photo of damage

here is a pic of the inside of the frame.
As I stated earlier...it's hard to desribe the damage. Even the photo doesn't quite capture the depth of the gouges. As you can see it starts at the bottom of the inside front of the frame and goes up to just under the ramp surface.
Please give advice about:
a). what caused this (forging error or milling error)
b). is this a deal-breaker/send her back to the factory deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
wow, maybe you should send that pic to SA. Mine had a few tooling marks inside the slide - and it had a few chips (i posted those pics on this forum) but nothing like that. Interesting...

anyone?:confused:

·
Administrator
13,263 Posts
I agree . Send SA the pic . That's poor work .

·
Registered
215 Posts
It probably won't hurt a thing, but after seeing the canal in the frame, I would send it back and either get another or ask for cash compensation or something. This is my reasoning: Just like real estate....what if you wanted to sell it down the road?? It will be a used gun and it will lower the price by the damage by the factory. There's a matter of principle involved as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts