1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about NT small primer pocket .45 ACPs, I have discussed them. Well, today I found my first as it brought my 550B to a screetching halt. I got out an Autoprime and poked in one single small pistol primer and ran it through with the rest, just to see if it will go off - as Charles Petty said it would, and as Winchester warns against even trying.

The small primer in the .45 casehead is less obvious than I thought it would be. Sorting these clangers out for disposal or separate handling with small primers will be more trouble than I anticipated. Fortunately I had recently emptied the primer catcher on the machine and was able to dump the last bunch out and sort out the lone small primer. It was nickel plated. So I will be sure to load all my .45s with unplated primers. That way I will be able to tell at a glance that a case is under suspicion as an NT and will look close to see if it is small diameter. Or if it is just range pickup with a large plated primer.

I am glad it was in the 550B; I don't know what would have happened if I had tried to run it through the S1050's primer pocket crimp swage station.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have found the NT casings at ranges here also. I have found them with headstamps from at least 4-5 different manufacturers. I have seen NT cases in both brass and nickle finish. I also noticed that the .45 GAP rounds have a small primer.

I tried to sort the NT stuff out before reloading, but I still had one wind up in my SDB. Fortunately, I noticed it when seating the primer. I stopped before any thing was damaged. But, having to stop and sort through the casings a second time really sucks.

If it was just one manufacturer, I'd suggest we protest to them, and stop buying reloading components from them. However, I have seen the stuff from almost all of the big companies. Is there a manufacturer that doesn't make this stuff? If so, I'd favor them when purchasing components.

·
Registered
305 Posts
From the jist of the thread we are dealing with 45 ACP cases with small primer pockets. I would like to know what "NT" means?

·
Registered
301 Posts
It is the new "Non Toxic" ammo.

Someone told me that the mfg's developed primers that contain no toxic materials. Then rather than tool up to make NT primers in multiple sizes, they engineered the ammo to use small primers. Great for their bottom line, sucks for reloaders.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The explanation I have read is that the non-toxic primers are especially sensitive to moisture, so a small primer is used to provide less circumerence to the gap between the primer and the case, hence less space for moisture to leak through. Not sure if this is right or not, but it has been widely repeated.

I reload these cases. Were it not for shipping costs, I'd volunteer to take them off the hands of anyone who didn't want them.

·
Registered
22,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read the same legend.
I doubt it because
1. First generation Win Clean had lead free large primers. Have you heard of a rash of failures?
2. There are advertisements for Russian lead free primers stated to be non-hygroscopic. Also PMC from who knows where.

There is also a version that the pressure rise in the primer pocket from the lead free mix is faster than with styphnate. The large flash holes of Win Clean were not enough to vent it into the load so they went to small primers, crimped in to boot. Seems they could have just used less compound in the large size. That might have taken a different anvil which would have added cost and complication. I think it is the bottom line. And an opportunity to discourage handloading which cuts into sales.

I have no problems with reloading the NT smalls. It is the trouble to sort them out that I begrudge. You can have mine if you come pick them out.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
every handgun I own are mostly small primers, except .45 acp
and .44 mag, .45 can use small primers with same powder charge,
.44 mag would need small pistol or rifle primers, imagine if no more ammo are made with large pistol primers? that would allmost eliminate large pistol primer buys, the government would have done away with one reloading component?actually its about making more money, :barf:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts