1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

i am currently searching for a low to moderately priced .45, and have been HEAVILY leaning toward a 1911. and if i do this, for reasons of my own i would perfer to get a Mil-spec gun. having looked around i have found the Auto-Ornance "ww2 parkerized 1911A1" it is within my price range and is most definately built (externally at least) true to the 1940's specifications. teh example i saw and the examples i can get (the one in the case sold) are all of, Post Kahr take over, production. i know that prior to the take over a AO was more likely to be a canidate for a decoy weight than a shooter, but i have read and heard, good things about AO since kahr re-vamped the Quality control system.

what i am wanting to know is if anyone has info on the quality of current production Auto-Ord pistols.

oh and let me clear the air a bit as to my feelings about a few incidental things (that have come up elsewhere, when i asked this).

I do NOT want a colt they are too much and i don't trust them anymore.

i don't care about the ties between kahr and the Moonies! if i bought a gun based on who ran the company, all i'd buy would be Rugers.

Oh and around here the Auto-Ord and the springfield, "mil-spec" are going for about the same price. and unless the AO is a complete P.O.S. i'll get the AO.

sorry for being long winded, and possibly gruff, i've just gotten tired of religious politics and "buy a colt" when i mention anyting to do with AO.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i can't help you with choices, thats up to you on howm to spend and what to buy. but you are 100% right about about opinions against something because of the companies background, political, religious, or otherwise. if we all were strict about the background of the firearms we buy, than the chi/com guns should have lanquished on the self, unbought. likewise the replies about someones purchase descisions. that usually start out "you should have bought a______". i will not just to say what ever you decided on be happy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Unless you have your heart set on a "Mil-Spec" gun why not look at AO's "Standard" model. It's not parkerdized, doesn't have the black plastic grips nor dummy cord keeper on the mainspring housing but other than that I think they are pretty much the same. Also the "Standard" list for about $40 less then the Mil-Spec.

I bought a pre-Kahr AU Standard and so far am satisfied with it. Needs a few things tweaked and then I'm going to shoot it to death.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,395 Posts
The A-O is not really MilSpec, as it is made entirely from castings. That's not to say a cast gun can't be of decent quality, but both Colt and Springfield at least use forged frames and slides.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rick last i saw Springfeild was using "drop forged" slides adn frames. drop forging is just another word for a type of casting.

and i have to say it would you skip a Ruger just b/c they as cast??

·
Registered
809 Posts
Check the latest American Rifleman review on the AO 1911. The report is that the frame is cast and the slide is barstock.
Drop forging is the working of hot steel by impact using a screw press, impacter or die forger (or big hammer and strong arm for that matter
Forging does improve the density of the steel, it aligns the grain to improve strength and it eliminates voids that can be left by casting. The steel is not fluid in this process and is not poured into a mould like casting.
Some of the internal parts in the AO are produced by the MIM casting process first popularized by Kimber.
If the slide is indeed a barstock slide and the quality of the casting is good on the frame I for one would give this piece serious consideration. But I would also replace the sear, disconnector and extractor as soon as convenient. I have had two older AO 1911s, both were good reliable guns that I traded for something I thought I wanted more at the time. Personally, I would not want a Parkerized 1911, blueing is easier to repair if you modify the gun or want to match an aftermarket part. Also the AO "GI" version has poor (GI style) sights. Oh, and the plastic grips would have to go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have one of the newer WW2 park 1911A1s, I like it very much, no mals after a couple hundred rounds. But if you are looking for a tack driver, this is not the gun for you. I have yet to bench test because I'm afraid of the results. I may have it fitted with a new match barrel just to see if accuracy improves.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
current plans are that i get the gun, (after i start my new job, god i hate waiting for the FBI barckground checks), find a pair of good quality wood grips, run 1,000 rounds through it and THEN decide if it needs any work

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
One came in today for work

front sight missing
rear sight push with finger, you don't need your thumb
barrel cast still
frame cast
fit, same old auto ord
slide marking is nice

the bolt face is still the goofy angle joby that they always use, every other including a mill spec gun is strait up and down opposite the extractor, the auto ord is kind of a slope

hammer has a seam right where it hits the firing pin, and the firing pin now has a ridge half way across (soft)
the sear and disconector look nice, disc might be machined??
trigger is steel and has 1/32 of play up
and down

aside from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play

geo ><>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts