1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent away for some Kahr Arms info, and received along with it some brochures on Auto Ordnance 1911's. Are these pieces any good? I am interested in their Mil-Spec, or am I better off buying the Spring Field GI-Issue 1911? Thanks for any info. I am new here.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
You'll never know until you get one

Algonquin,

You'll never know until you get one. I've collected many brands of 45's including a new Sig-Saur 220 model just a couple of days ago. Regardless of the price all of mine have worked great out of the box using full metal jacket ammo. That includes a Sarco pistol which is my favorite. All I did was replace the barrel and it could use a good reblueing. Ohterwise it's a great carry gun when I hear something bad going on out near my garage late at night. I say this as I just found out that last night someone tried to steal my car again!!! I guess they didn't believe my car alarm would go off. I believe the Auto Ordanance pistol is a good one since Kahr has taken it over. Bu again you'll never know until you tri it.

good luck on your decision

rimfire,22

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think what ranger's saying is that California has certified the AO as safe.
I got a WWII Auto Ordnance this past Summer. It's a good pistol.
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked with a local gun shop last night, and he said that they were junk. He quit selling them because everyone had to be sent back to the factory, and they still didn't always work right after they came back.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Algonquin, ask the maven at your local gunshop if those were made by Kahr? I am sure Kahr has too much to loose by putting out junk. I own 3 Kahr pistols; one is an E9, another is a stainless K9, and lastly a K40. These are all excellent pistols. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy I spoke with said he quit carring Auto Ordnance until Kahr was producing them. He purchased several made by Kahr, and couldn't believe their quality. He really likes Kahr firearms, but had nothing good to say about Auto Ordnance.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
"I talked with a local gun shop last night, and he said that they were junk. He quit selling them because everyone had to be sent back to the factory, and they still didn't always work right after they came back."

It does sound like he's referring to the OLD AO 1911s. While not "junk", they, along with many AMT guns (remember them?) often didn't run right "out-of-the-box".

I haven't seen or shot the new ones, but by report, Kahr has really tried to improve them.

Dunno about customer service with the Kahr/AO 1911s, and it's off the subject, but Kahr's customer service regarding their line of small pistols is just plain awful if you get a defective one (I have LONG AND CONSIDERABLE personal experience of it!), so you might want to be as sure as can be that you're getting a good gun before purchasing.
Kahr's QC hasn't proven to be the best, and you should simply look the pistol over carefully, including field-stripping it, before accepting one.
That's my recommendation, anyway, and as noted, it isn't specifically regarding their 1911s.
Best.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I returned a horribly mis-drilled grip safety to Kahr about 1.5 weeks ago with a short note explaining the problem. No phone call, no email, no nothing. The replacement part was on my doorstep today. Looks and fits great. I was preparing myself to sacrifice that part and half expected they'd claim they never got it, you know how things can go. Nice to be pleasantly surprised. :)

I like the easy online ordering system they have for GI parts. (www.tommygunshop.com)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one of the original AO's #xxxx, so far, it has functioned perfectly! On a combat course, it shoots hard ball with the best of them.
Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts