1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assembling the PM7 after cleaning it today in my backyard. Went to get the recoil spring plug down so I could twist the barrel bushing in place, and whoosh, my thumb & the plastic wrench tool thing slip...

I caught the spring, but well, the recoil spring plug is nowhere to be found. Surely I can't be the first bonehead to do this?

Anyhow, gotta find a replacement obviously. Are they standard size, or do I need one specific to the model of my firearm?

·
Registered
128 Posts
:rock::biglaugh:
Sorry, couldn't help it. I can see that plug shooting a couple of hundred feet into the air and landing blocks away.:biglaugh:

I'm sure it has happened many, many times. Good thing it didn't hit you in the eye.:eek:

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Don't worry, you'll find it in the spring with the lawn mower.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Been there and done that, However I was always able to find mine. Wait until you do it in the house and break out a window.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Rest assured you aren't the only one to launch one into the abyss. I'd like to think a flgr gov't plug would drop right in the PM7. You should be able to find them at Midway, Brownells, etc. I'm sure you could order one from DW direct as well. Another option is to replace the flgr with a gi which makes dis-assembly and one hand racks more feasible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The same thing happened with me and my PM 7. I was cleaning it in my basement and upon reassembly managed to launch it. It landed behind the foundation after flying between the floor joists. Spent about a hour searching in vain. Replaced it and learned my lesson!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've carried and shot a 1911 since 1980. So I've launched many a plug. In fact, I know that I have hundreds of gun parts “hiding” in my garage.

As mentioned above, Midway USA or Brownell’s can fix you up.

Best regards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to the Dan Wesson 1911 "Aww @#$&(*@" Club! The members (all of whom are exceptional boneheads) are very helpful, but they aren't going to help you find your spring --- you're on your own! Club tip: Install spring and plug for your 1911 with the pistol under an empty upside-down laundry basket in case it slips out of your hand!

I dare say everyone here has done it ... probably more than once. Eat some more turkey, drink a beer, and don't worry about it; unlike your eye, the spring is easily replaceable.

-Seawolf

·
Registered
514 Posts
I thought you were going to say idiot scratch. I am sure you would agree better it was the plug.
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hey, dont feel to bad. I almost took my eye out with it. Missed by an inch or less hitting the eyebrow.:eek:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'd be sweeping the yard with a magnet.

Every time I disassemble & assemble my 1911's I worry that something will slip and break the florescent lights above my work bench.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened. But my question is why did you have to go
outside to clean your gun?

Clyde

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
I was replacing a heavy recoil spring on a one piece full-length guide rod a few days ago. Using my floor mounted vise to help. It slipped........and BANG!!!!, sumpin' hit me HARD in the chin.
Took a while to find the parts. My chin was dripping blood into small pools as I was on my knees checking under the benches.

First time with an injury and I've done this full-time for 25 years.

A few years ago a plug got away, and broke one of the 8ft flourescent tubes directly above my head. Lottsa falling glass, no cuts.

:biglaugh:

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
I was replacing a heavy recoil spring on a one piece full-length guide rod a few days ago. Using my floor mounted vise to help. It slipped........and BANG!!!!, sumpin' hit me HARD in the chin.
Took a while to find the parts. My chin was dripping blood into small pools as I was on my knees checking under the benches.

First time with an injury and I've done this full-time for 25 years.

A few years ago a plug got away, and broke one of the 8ft flourescent tubes directly above my head. Lottsa falling glass, no cuts.

:biglaugh:

Good way to golfball your chin! Repeat as neccessary. :eek::biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
Nope. Was a full length guide rod, so no golfballing on the plug end. Just a sharp edged hole. Cookie cutter kinda wound.

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Hell...be careful or they'll change your name to "pistolwreck".:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
To clarify:
"First time with an injury and I've done this full-time for 25 years."
This refers only to injuries sustained by a recoil spring plug.
I've done every boneheaded thing possible in 37 years of machining/pistolsmithing. Still got all 10 fingers and no bulletholes though!
:)

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Mr Rogers...case you haven't heard, these damn Dan Wesson 1911's are the nuts. Like to see your work on one of em'.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts