1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've dismissed, here on this forum, the concept that trigger weight lightening could matter in a legitimate, and INTENTIONAL, SD shooting case.

I too thought that Ayoob was full of poop when he says to not not lighten a trigger. Because, i thought, that if you meant to shoot the creep it doesn't matter. That trigger weight only mattered in an accidental shooting.

But I just watched him interviewed on Active Self Protection. What he basically says is that since insurers don't cover (pay the Plaintiff) for intentional acts, the Plaintiff's lawyers will try to paint you as NEGLIGENT by your lightening a trigger beyond factory specs.

This is only because there's a big paycheck coming if a jury is convinced there was negligence. Because your insurance DOES cover negligence.

So they will try very hard to prove it. And they will use your monkeying with the trigger as evidence.

--------- Please don't post the same comments we have all seen here before, without first watching the full video of what the man has to say.

It's easily found on the Active Self Protection website. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I currently have 3 guns out for defense of our home. All are factory triggers because of what Ayoob and others have preached. But also because I came to the same conclusion decades ago, and that I concluded a "target trigger" isn't necessary in a home defense situation where the distances are very short. At least in my little home.

·
2,941 Posts
But he admitting to carrying a custom Beretta with a lightened trigger!?!

Would have been more convincing if a case where someone lost on such a claim was cited.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I have a Kimber with a 2# trigger, it was that way when I got it second hand. I don't know if it was worked on or not but I can't imagine Kimber selling guns with 2# triggers. It is one of the most accurate guns I have because of that trigger.

I would not carry it and I surely would not want someone pointing it at me in a fight under stress with adrenalin spiked out because that things goes bang with just a touch. It is one sweet shooting gun though.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Definitely gives one something to think about. The first thing I did when I got my Gen 1 M&P was swap the trigger out for an Apex trigger. All it really does is make a more crisp defined break & reset. With the duty/carry spring I installed the advertised pull weight is 5.0-5.5 lb. And it feels about that. But it makes me wonder if that still doesn't open one up to litigation after watching that video. I have doubts it would be a problem, but you never know these days. Opportunistic vultures will latch onto any scrap they think they can to get a buck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
you have to survive an encounter first before you worry about nonsense like this.

I will Go with what I can accurately hit my target with.

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
My guns are stock from the manufacturer that I would use for those purposes, 3.5 is the usual but I have two 2.3 and one 1.2 that are totally unmodified stock. Not really a big issue since it's not "light" in the sense it's hard to control or predict

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Side question: He cited a case at the end of the video concerning zombie/skulls etc. Arizona Vs ???? I couldn't quite hear the name ------- anybody here catch it?

·
2,941 Posts
Side question: He cited a case at the end of the video concerning zombie/skulls etc. Arizona Vs ???? I couldn't quite hear the name ------- anybody here catch it?
Pretty sure it was Brailsford...the cop that shot Daniel Shaver. He had some expressions written on his rifle.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah. That guy. I wouldn't do it for two reasons.

1. Can make you look ridiculous to a jury

2. It's tacky

I don't wear tasteless slogans / images or put them on my guns/cars. I'm low-class enough without that crap!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
But he admitting to carrying a custom Beretta with a lightened trigger!?!
No, he said that he purposely bought it from a custom manufacturer... and it is unmodified from the "factory." The premise being that the manufacturer's established "duty weight" is sufficient to dispel a prosecutor's attempts to pin you for lighter than customary trigger weight.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I find about twenty or thirty percent of that video to be VERY offensive . . . . because the
ding-dang moron doing the "interview" would not SHUT HIS MOUTH!

He interrupted, seemed to think HIS was the superior knowledge, that his opinion
amounted to anything of worth. :barf:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
In many states(mine for one), Castle Doctrine laws give you immunity from civil lawsuits when you use deadly force to legitimately protect yourself. No big paycheck regardless of trigger pull. Seems some folks don't think the families of criminals should get a paycheck because their family member tried to murder or maim someone.

Ayoob has been telling folks for over 3 decades not to use handloads too. Yet, in not one legitimate SD scenario, has ammo made one bit of difference. My mama told me I'd never meet a good woman in a bar either. Been married to a woman I met in a bar since before anyone even knew who Ayoob was. Folks claim there's a Sasquatch too.....but until I see proof, I ain't gonna wear the tin foil hat.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pat-inCO --------- Do you know who the interviewer is? You can have a beef with him on interviewing skills, but he's far from an unknowledgeable amateur on defensive handgunning .

·
2,941 Posts
No, he said that he purposely bought it from a custom manufacturer... and it is unmodified from the "factory." The premise being that the manufacturer's established "duty weight" is sufficient to dispel a prosecutor's attempts to pin you for lighter than customary trigger weight.
Very few are fooled by that. Using his own logic:

The trigger is "lighter than customary" for millions of Beretta 92 duty pistols. "It can be shot easier intentionally so it can be shot easier unintentionally." "He can't hit a target this big without his" special Langdon Tactical "custom" reckless and dangerous murder pistol.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
buck460XVR--------- Does that Castle Doctrine cover negligence? Don't be so sure unless you are a lawyer in this field, or have consulted with one on that specific question.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
magazineman said:
Pat-inCO --------- Do you know who the interviewer is?
You can have a beef with him on interviewing skills, but he's far from an
unknowledgeable amateur on defensive handgunning .
Don't really care. He REPEATEDLY interrupted Ayoob to insert his own opinion.
My read of Ayoob's body language is that he (Ayoob) almost walked out of the "interview".

THAT is a moron conducting the so called "interview".
Phrased another way, he has minimal people skills and is on an ego trip.

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
So, does upgrading / replacing a factory AR trigger with a i.e. Geiseele, etc trigger Further expose someone liability wise? It is somewhat a moot point if you shoot someone, no?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts