1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bopped out to one of my shooting spots, even if it did have almost a foot of snow on the ground. I had my Colt Gov't Model and was using 230-grain FMJ from a local reloader who I keep in business. After not having a lot of luck two-handed shooting at a Shoot-N-See target stuck to a pizza box about 70 yards away, I decided it was time to go to a more steady position: prone.

Nothing like lying on the snow in your wool pants and oilskin jacket to really focus your attention. I went from hitting the Shoot-N-See once out of 30 times, to drilling it four out of five.

I never have shot with gloves before, and even though they were fingerless wool, I still had a different feel. The other thing I have decided is I am not a fan of the sloped front sight on the Colt. I don't why it's sloped, so any info would be appreciated. Maybe it's something to do with reducing effect of glare?

I also found myself pulling down on the shots. It's amazing how easy it is to get into a bad habit. So I concentrated on not anticipating the recoil and yarding down. By the end of my session I was clobbrering the half-gallon jug while shooting two-handed and standing. The jug was out about 50 yards.

What made it truly fun is the jug is that milky white plastic so when it was sitting in the snow all I could really see was the plastic orange top. Basically, it was "aiming by feel" for the rest jug's center mass.

Nice way to ring out the old year, playing in the snow with a 1911. :D

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Nice report. I love to train in conditions (snow, rain, heat, etc) that I know bad guys are too lazy to get out in. Anything to get an edge.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Weather

Went to the trap club yesterday. Shot my first round without gloves. After three shots I could not get shells out of my bag. NUMB Fingers! Wind chill was nasty. Nice, crisp, cold day. Perfect for Polar bears, not too bad for me either. I shot better than ever. Break birds fast, get back inside......

-B

·
Registered
314 Posts
Went to the range yesterday to sight in the new PK-AS red dot sight for my 5.45 AK. Yeah, it was a little chilly (22F) but I had the entire range to myself! :D I'm going again next weekend with my shotgun & Rock Island .45...
Tomac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts