1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll let the pictures do the talking. Needless to say Tripp Research does some awesome work.

After

·
Super Moderator
13,517 Posts
Nice. Did you have them dehorn the pistol too? Those old Colts have really sharp edges that you can shave with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They didn't dehrorn the pistol although in hindsight it may have been a good idea.

The original finish was satin nickel.

Now I just need to replace that rubber MSH :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost forgot to add the most important part, my total investment with the Hard Chroming is $550!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Virgil is one of the best kept secrets out there. Most people associate his name with finishes but he and his crew do outstanding smithing work. Hopefully next week I will post some pictures of a 9MM full house I got from Virgil last week.

I can't begin to tell you guys how happy I am with the work he did. The gun came out perfectly and thus far after 700 rounds I haven't had one single issue related to feeding and extracting. I have one mag that fails to lock the slide back after the last round but that isn't a smithing issue but a mag tolerance issue.

IMHO his Cobra Chrome is the nicest finish I have ever seen. I had a Sig 229 that had been black T'd and have played with Robar stuff and I wasn't as impressed with either. As you know pictures don't do the stuff justice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dubb-1 said:
All that rust? That was $550 worth of work in my book.

Be well!
I'll be honest with you, even though I did my best to describe the condition of the pistol over the phone before I sent it in, I kind of half expected them to call me when it arrived and tell me the price would be more than originally quoted. But when all was said and done it was still $150 + $48 for shipping.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is awesome!!!! Restoring a abused or neglected Colt is a very rewarding experience. I have done several myself and I appreciate those guns more than a new in the box gun. I have a Series 70 GM now that needs some help and I know of 2 morewith problems that were offered to me cheap. Maybe I should send them to Virgil. Your Commander looks great!!!

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
What a gorgeous Commander that has become. I like a nice new nickle job, but for some reason, old nickle often looks pretty knarly. That hard chrome job may well last your lifetime... and beyond!

One of these days I'm going to have a series 70 re-issue back from Virgil - you guessed it - hard chromed! :rock:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Once I get my 1911 and take it to the range a few times, I had plans to get in Cobra Chromed, while its their I thought I would let them do a "moderate dehorn" Depending how "bad/good" the trigger is I might get their trigger job. For some reason if its un-reliable its going BACK to colt.

Chrome is $175 with the barrel and $150 without the barrel.
A moderate dehorn is $45
"No parts" trigger job is $60.
Reliability package for $85 + range test (includes ammo) for $45.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,212 Posts
Beautiful! And, congratulations if you resisted the urge to fit a beavertail. I bought a circa '84 lightweight, and had to retrofit it with the nub grip safety. I love the Millett rear sight; very underrated as a replacement for the stock sights on older Colts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts