1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my requisite 10 day wait, I took delivery yesterday of this (no longer much "collector value") Series 70 Combat Commander in Satin (w/polished flats) Nickle, and promptly took it to the range:

Haven't fired a gun in ten years, but I gotta say that I'm a happy hombre! Obviously, this gun has had a few mods - Bomar adj. dovetail sights, trigger, hammer, competition barrel, ambi safety, checkered rear frame area, and a set of custom Altamont grips added by me. I gotta say, after 150 rounds of mixed ammo through this thing without a hiccup - I'm "home"! Almost no felt recoil, immediate target reaquisition between each round - virtually "point & shoot". This 1911 is FAR more capable than my 4" groups at 15 yards are reflective of! My prior 1911/1911-styled autoloaders were a Lightweight Commander, an Officer's in stainless, and a stainless Detonics Mark IV; this one is the Belle of the Ball! Personally, I'm glad I didn't get all "wiggy" about the collector/resale value of this pistol - I would have missed out on the finest-shooting .45 I've ever handled! I'm gonna have to get a job at the range sweeping up the "empties" to help finance my ammo/range time!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Very very nice...but just for your information there are no "Series 70" Combat Commanders or Commanders... Although your serial number indicates your gun was made in the late 1970s only Government Models and Gold Cups were "Series 70" meaning that they had the Series 70 collet barrel and bushing. Commander length guns never had these. Series 70s guns are also marked on the left side of the slide in big billboard letters "SERIES 70", whereas the Commanders kept the same style markings they had from 1949. Steel frame Combat Commanders markings were just changed to "Combat Commander" vs. "Commander Model" for the aluminum frame guns.

From the "SC" in your serial number you must have the original Colt electroless nickel finish. My first 1911 back in 1974 was a gun exactly like this but was box stock. I now have a .38 Super just like it. If the serial number was "70BS" then it would have been originally a blue gun.

They are great shooters...

Bob Makowski

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Welcome back! that sure is a nice way to get back into shooting!

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
SuperMan said:
Very very nice...but just for your information there are no "Series 70" Combat Commanders or Commanders... Although your serial number indicates your gun was made in the late 1970s only Government Models and Gold Cups were "Series 70" meaning that they had the Series 70 collet barrel and bushing. Commander length guns never had these. Series 70s guns are also marked on the left side of the slide in big billboard letters "SERIES 70", whereas the Commanders kept the same style markings they had from 1949. Steel frame Combat Commanders markings were just changed to "Combat Commander" vs. "Commander Model" for the aluminum frame guns.
Thit is all true, but I personally have given up correcting people, especially since Colt now calls them all "Series 70's" if they don't have a firing pin safety.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
dsk said:
Thit is all true, but I personally have given up correcting people, especially since Colt now calls them all "Series 70's" if they don't have a firing pin safety.

...you are probably correct. But maybe if enough are educated there will be more to help correct those who were born after the time of "Series 70".

Bob

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Nice CC, Ganzman. Looks like you picked up a nice one.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kudos, Boys! For the record, I'm aware of the "Series 70 Thang" not being strictly correct vis a vis the Combat Commander; just like "irregardless" isn't REALLY a word, but has managed to bull its way into the dictionary, I guess referring to this iteration of CC as a "Series 70" seems to have done so similarly. I'm happy to stand corrected; please advise as to what I SHOULD refer to it by, in proper conversation...:scratch:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
"....a 70s vintage Combat Commander". I just say Combat Commander and then tell anyone who asks what the vintage is.

I could tell you the exact year but my book only goes to 1976 and your gun is just a little out of the serial number range...probably 1978/9 if I had to guess.

Bob

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
I have also given up correcting people on the "Series 70" Commander and the "LW Commander". I usually know what they mean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts