1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT KNIFE DO YOU CARRY IF ANY! AM THINKING OF GETTING A STRIDER KNIFE. NO IM NOT A LEO, JUST A CIVILIAN WHO WILL NOT BE HERDED INTO THE BACK ROOM AT A FAST FOOD PLACE AND HAVE IT BE MY LAST DAY ON EARTH. OR YOUR WIFE, MOTHER, SISTER ETC.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Deafdog, please type in lower case letters - it's much easier to read, and people will think you are yelling if you type in capital letters....or maybe you ARE yelling?!!!

Anyway, Strider makes good knives, but I think for your intended purposes, a folding knife makes more sense. A fixed blade can be more easily construed as a weapon, whereas a good quality folder is a TOOL, with several functions.

Of course, you will have to check with the local law establishment and see what blade lengths and styles are legal for carry. NC may not like "gravity" knives, or knives that you can open by flicking your wrist. They may not like blades longer than 3.5"

My suggestion (depending on your budget) is to get a Benchmade knife, with an axis-lock. They are strong and good value for the money. www.benchmade.com .

If you want something a little cheaper, I believe that CRKT offers the best bang for the buck right now, for a lower priced knife. There are several models to choose from. www.crkt.com .

I carry a Benchmade 722SBT, and a CRKT M16-02. I occasionally carry an Emerson SOCFK.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shane 45, sorry some times im in a hurry and it loced in caps and i dont want to go back over. i already carry a benchmade/elshewit
mini striker folder that i paid a little high i find out now $130.00 did it in a shop in my town and not on the net. what i want is a fixed blade and strider has ats-34 steel
fixed blade 7.25 over all length about a .25" longer than my folder. with in or out
the waist band sheath. im also aware to check the local laws thanks.

the waist

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I carry a Bear 1/2 serrarted blade, lock blade knife with pocket clip, with the knife clipped to my uniform pants pocket.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
285 Posts
My uniform carry backup knife is a Cold Steel Voyager with the Tanto point . It has a very strong lock and the Tanto Blade is very stiff and capable of penetrating bone/skull if need be . Just my two cents worth . Be careful in some areas carrying a fixed blade as they can be considered a weapon and could get you charged .

·
Registered
164 Posts
A fixed blade is a good choice for backup as it follows the KISS principle and can be very fast to deploy. Strider makes a good knife, though I am not a big fan of ATS-34, as it is a mediocre steel. However, Strider does a decent heat treat and their knives hold an edge better than most others I've seen. My Benchmades don't hold an edge worth ****.

I like the Mad Dog Mini-Shrike or Baby Mako for boot carry. Randall makes a nice boot knife called the Guardian. I don't care much for neck carry, but RJ Martin has some nice Japanes style neck knives.

I have an Emerson Commander for daily chores, but I'm on my third one due to lock failure.

Tim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Roger on the Emerson Commander. I have had nothing but problems with it. I now carry a Benchmade AFCK which is about 90 - 100 less than the Emerson. I also have a Benchmade CQB7 which was when Benchmade used the Emerson design.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I concur with JAFO. During my law enforcement career I carried a Cold Steel Voyager with the tanto point. I am now retired but it still rides with me everyday.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gerber A/F folder...the big one. Loctite the panel screws in or you'll lose them, but it's a tough knife thats easy to open one handed, and it fits a single mag pouch on the back of my belt. The drop point is easy to slide under belts/harnesses and clothing.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You all gonna get a kick out of this one. I carry a $.99 (yes that is 99 cents) Maxam knife. It has a 4 inch blade half serrated. It is razor shot and has stayed that way for a while now. Looks like your spiderco's and other brand name knifes but is a HECK of alot cheaper

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Always carry a Clipit "Delicia" on and off duty. Kind of handy when you need it. Good Shooting! NAA.

--------------------------------------------
1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts