1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a gunsmith but this isn't my first barrel either. I had a heck of a time getting this barrel to lock up and now that it's going up into the upper lugs it want's to cant to one side. In this picture notice how, with the barrel in lock up, that the lower lugs lean to the left side of the gun:

I got looking at the barrel and it looks like the top dead center of the lugs are not centered on the barrel. It's hard to describe and show in a picture but pretty obvious when you're holding the barrel. In this picuture the black marker line is about TDC of the lugs:

You can also tell by looking at the bottom of the upper lug cuts that they are lower on the left side of the gun. The marker lines are opposite each other. Left side of gun:

Right side of gun:

This is a Barsto bull barrel. I sent it back to them and asked them to look at it and call me. They said the lugs were off by .001 and cut them, it was returned wtihout my being able to talk to them. Am I loosing my mind or did I get a bad barrel?

I'm hoping to get some input from one of the many reputable pistol-smiths on the board. Please help, I'm going to send the barrel back to Barsto (again) and need to know if it's possible to have the lugs so screwed up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I knew Irv Sr. and know Irv Jr, personally and both are straight arrow kind of guys!
Good luck, Iam sure they will do what is neccessary to fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The twisting may be caused by the hood cut unevenly in the breech slot. You should have even 2-5 thou on each side. You may also have to file the sides of the barrel, the top lugs lock more on the top than the sides. An old trick to speed lock down is to tapper the sides of the barrel at this point. Try a feeler guage on the sides of the barrel /chamber area- see if you have enen clearance. Greg

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Greg,
I'd say its NOT your barrel..............its your slide. Is the slide a series 70?

Check your slides upper lug cuts............good chance the upper lug cut are offset in the slide............some have like a double lug cut.....they start the cut and move the cutter over a little bit...sometimes your see 2 definite steps.

The same cutter goes all the way to the bolt face....check the inside the ejection port...the side opposite the port. Seen it on many a slides.

Mud Shank Pete

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have seen this several times and usually its the guy behind the file who narrowed the barrel hood (installer). Think about it, its too wide, if you narrow it too much on one side vs the other it will cant like that when you finally get it to lockup. It usually can be fixed by filing the sides of the barrel hood.

Chris

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Chainman,

Chris may also be on the right track. I am asuming you located the hood correctly. To correctly locate the center of the hood on the barrel......you must 1st locate where the hood sits in the slide.......if your doing this on your lap.....good luck... but it can be done.

I personally place a mandrel of the correct diameter in the slide bore.......get its center.......then indicate where the hood is located in relationship to the slide bore.......then tranfer these measurements on to the barrel.....wulla...perfect center.

The TRUE center of the slide is the slide bore because this is where the barrel tracks...it is very difficult to bore this hole straight for 5 inches... a little run out is common and play heck with fitting a barrel.

Last thought......the firing pin has nothing to do with the barrel location.....this hole was drilled later or sooner and also has run out.... unless of coarse they drilled it in the same setup as the slide bore.

Ham Bone Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts