1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a standard commander style ring hammer on my BHP for years but I shoot my 1911 a lot as was drilled with the thumb high (on the safety) hold and that transfers to my BHP. I hold a very high grip. Anyway that hammer would bite and after a range session I would feel it. So finally time to punish that sucker. Clipped it's nuts and pulled its teeth.

Just one little problem encountered. We all have our home made hammer hold back tools. Mine used the hammer ring as an anchor. Take down was fine but reassembly oops. A zip tie had to fill in.

A pleasant afternoon toolin on the roscoe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440374066.276962.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440374083.214947.jpg

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Nice job on the hammer. That should also teach it a lesson; it won't bite again.
I have a new ( for me) FEG HP with a Commander style hammer that just loves to bite. Like you, I hold high (1911 trained) and while I totally enjoy the piece, a day at the range leave me bleeding. I don't really want to do an hammerectomy; I like the look of the Commander style hammer. I just want to trim the under side of the bob. That or carry more band-aids to the range.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I find that applying band aids before I shoot does the trick - or as a field expedient, the making tape I use to hang targets.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I find that applying band aids before I shoot does the trick - or as a field expedient, the making tape I use to hang targets.
I bet a roll of moleskin in the range bag would be just about as perfect a protective strategy as you could ask for.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Absolutely.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
No, but then again, all of my Hi Powers are SFS. SFS totally eliminates hammer bite/chew.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
That's why I never ask for mole sauce when I eat Mexican...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You know, with all the PETA activist about, I'm surprised mole skins are still available. Hmm .......

·
Registered
539 Posts
In retrospect...and respect...to the OP:

Thats an interesting mod. Never thought of it. Looks nice. By removing as much mass from the hammer, have you noticed light strikes?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In retrospect...and respect...to the OP:

Thats an interesting mod. Never thought of it. Looks nice. By removing as much mass from the hammer, have you noticed light strikes?

It really is a small portion of the ring now gone. Impact on weight minimal. Hammer mass is really not a factor. Look at some of the minimal hammers you can find in the 1911 world, almost nothing. Lower mass equals faster speed thus making up for lower mass in kinetic energy to the pin. It goes boom just fine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took a quick pick of this hammer reconfigure with my normal grip. Now lots of room. If you look close you can still see the healing up of the web from a recent range session. No more of that.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440603905.958056.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts