1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody asked to see examples of bad checkering. Here are some pics of when a hand checkered frame gets an OPPS. All the frames were goofed by a well known smith.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Looks like a Tequila job! I guess it goes to show that even famous smiths get hangovers from time to time.

Thanks for the pix, Son.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I wish I had those frames, I need to make up some dummy guns for training.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Son, When did you take up pistolsmithing

The one on left doesnt look like checkering, nor does it look like stippling... looks like "pimpling"

·
Registered
984 Posts
If your assignment was to find bad checkering, I'd have to give you an A+ for this class.....

·
Super Moderator
13,599 Posts
Looks more like the works of Mike Benedict.

------------------
"If she can cook chicken, she suits me to a T."
Ray Charles

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't know, Ricky Tick. I can't see, taste, or smell any BBQ sauce on them!

------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I just get SO upset when folks 'dis my
checkerin'.....

[This message has been edited by pistolwrench (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Son, You are Very good with a camera! Very.

This is a little side bar but these frames can be saved. We have don the checkering inserts on frames that have broken through. (20 and 30 Lpi) Not that our resident gunsmith guys would ever have a problem
but Just thought it worth mentioning. Aside from the soilder seam at the mag well and the fact that you could not get the top line perfect with no border you can not tell.
geo ><>

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Son & Pete,

How did you get those frames? I thought I'd destroyed all evidence of my early days (before I switched over from a chainsaw to a checkering file).
Is this where plausible deniability comes in to play?

Regards,
John

·
Registered
309 Posts
Holy cow, and I thought my first attempt at checkering was bad. Could you tell me if the person who did this ever perfected his technique? THanks for posting the photos. It's interesting to see other's work while learning.

------------------
KEEP SHOOTIN' PINMAN www.bcarmory.com

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi Precision Gunworks,
These frames were given to me to repair by different smiths through the years, I repaired some, but don't have time for this crap lately. One of the frames the smith tried to fill-in with solder and re-checker, I have more than this, the Springfield Son photo'ed, chrome frame, blue slide was a frame like these with a slide to match built for my brother, maybe Son can put the link up so you can click and compare, Metal Smith

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
"....suddenly, the alley was quiet. In the dead midnight air, the gunsmoke hung, thick and unwilling to be gone, like an uncouth joke at a five-hundred-dollar-a-plate fundraiser. Ned Danger wasn't sure if the fifteen swarthy thugs were all down for the count or just taking a break, and he didn't really care. He took advantage of the lull, deftly inserting a fresh clip (AAargh!) of .45 Rhino cartridges into his highly customized Government Model. The most valuable custom feature at a time like this was the cutaway frontstrap; there simply was none. The front edge of the clip (AAargh!!), once inserted, formed the forward edge of the big pistol's grip. He twirled it twice, contemplating some of his more sissified fellow men of action, who favored frilly, checkered frontstraps. He jacked the slide several times, just in case this was a TV show, and was again ready for action...."

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 05-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know a lot of people in the Kimber forums tend to recommend buying the stock pistols and having them customized, but this is exactly why I went with the CDP. Anybody can claim to be a gunsmith, and unless you already know and trust one, this is the kind of work that can result.

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's one of the reasons that makes forums like this great. You find out which smiths/businesses are the real deal and not a one night wonder.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wow, those are bad!

Hey Metalsmith,
How about one of your superb posts on how that happens? I've checkered more than a few in my day and I have never come close to that. (Thank goodness, knock on wood)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ned,...ROTFL...

You know that second pic is kind of interesting.It resembles threads.That should provide a good grip...just screw it into your hand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts