1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never found a forum for this one but I think it would be really intrested how some of these gun stores treat there customers heck we'll even include gunsmith services so here goes... Lets just be sure to leave out the offenders name otherwise we might have a sticky situation :D

Currently I'm recalling what happened today when the pro 1911 "tactical" dork at a large name (small shop) Houston store told me a new Springfield would and has AD when dropped on there muzzle "even though they have a super light weight titanium firing pin" and he went on to start babbling about how nice the kimber with the special safety was so far advanced blah blah Series 80 superiority blah blah he even went on to say a Llama was built better:eek: )

After I left I vowed to never do bussiness with that place again since this was the second time I got to talk with there super intresting :biglaugh: shop hands, never the less they had what I wanted and I was about to drop a few bills to pick the SA up and then he starts rammbling about how unsafe they are.. At that point my principals kicked in and I left, I'll do bussiness with people that respect the goods they sale.... I wish more people would put this principal of thinking into effect... Then we might have some better educated shop hands at these stores, we might even get the type that don't have some kind of financial motive for selling/pushing a particular gun over another....

Speak up this might get intresting :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Gun stores are interesting places, but always wear appropriate footwear since many are prone to contain more bovine excrement than a large feedlot.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
They can tell you anything in the world to sell you something. All that matters is that it's reliable and accurate enough to do the job. As long as it goes bang when one pulls the trigger. REAL WORLD!

rimfire,22

·
Registered
89 Posts
The more gun store guys I talk to the more I think Kimber must pay a spiff to guys that sell their guns. I have yet had a gun sales man recommend any other 1911.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Along the lines of i like colts' post above, I was in a gun shop last week where the owner, with a perfectly straight face, told a prospective customer that he was not aware of any of his customers EVER having a problem with ANY Kimber. What a load.

·
Registered
333 Posts
well lol i had a private sale gun come in they approved it to start with but when it got there they bg checked me and the other guy 3 times each before i could get the gun, and the lady destroyed my liscense by removing part of my update sticker they used to use in michigan.

same store different owner a year later. i got a kimber i asked the owner what i would have to do to get a ambi safety, he told me it would require machining by kimber and all sorts of stupid crap. i had paid for the gun already so i just walked out laughing because i knew that was wrong even though i didnt know a whole lot about 1911's at the time.

·
Registered
683 Posts
i like colts said:
The more gun store guys I talk to the more I think Kimber must pay a spiff to guys that sell their guns. I have yet had a gun sales man recommend any other 1911.

It's more like trying to reduce their overhead. Kimbers and a few others are expensive to have sitting in the show case. If You want the people to shop you have got to have a selection.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I personally don't see all the hype with Kimber's. They are nice, yes. But honestly, what can you do with a Kimber that you can't do with a comparable Springfield?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Being relatively new to shooting or at least handgun ownership it amazes me how gun stores treat people like me. People who arent regulars and dont really know a whole lot. I find many gun store employees and owners almost arrogant and rude when it comes to service. I wont ever do business at Mandalls Shooting supply in Scottsdale ever again because of this. I dont understand why so many gun stores are like this. The two have have encountered that the people were actually freindly are Bear Arms in Scottsdale and The Sportsmen in Phoenix. They actually acted like they wanted my business.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Mandall's is a museum, they don't want to sell guns. You should have been there when Marty Mandall was running the place. He was the ultimate king of rude. Head south a mile and check out Scottsdale Gun Center. Best prices in Arizona!

·
Banned
597 Posts
hjk said:
Along the lines of i like colts' post above, I was in a gun shop last week where the owner, with a perfectly straight face, told a prospective customer that he was not aware of any of his customers EVER having a problem with ANY Kimber. What a load.
I sold guns for two years. I sold more Kimbers than I can remember (probably in the neighborhood of 100+) and never had a single one come back to the store. Did some of these people have problems and contact Kimber directly? Maybe so, but I never heard about it, and nobody ever brought one back to me complaining.
I cannot say this about Colt, Springfield, or Para Ordnance (hell, the damn PO broke twice before it ever LEFT the store!).

·
Registered
925 Posts
How about when they feed you a line of BS or argue with you like they know all and you are just a schmuck!
Went to a local store......
Salesman: Can I help you?
Me: Yes! I need a set of Hogue Rubber grips, the round butt to square butt conversion for a Smith K/L frame.
Salesman: Yes, I have them. For what model?
Me: 617 Smith.
Salesman: Can't do. That model is not listed.
Me: Same grip fits all K/L frames as long as they are round butt or square butt.
Salesman: OHHHH NO! THEY DON'T!!!
Me: You might want to check?
Salesman: Don't have to! I know what I am talking about!

Store #2. Same initial blah, blah!
Owner: Got to order them!
Me: Okay
Week later owner calls: Grips are in!
Me: Great!
Grips received are for a Ruger.
Owner: I'll have to reorder.
2 weeks later I call.
Me: Are the grips in?
Owner: Nope! Can't get them. Hogue doesn't make them anymore!

I call Hogue directly.
Me: Do you still make the round butt to square butt conversion monogrips for a Smith K/L frame?
Hogue lady: Sure do!
Me: Does the model matter?
Hogue lady: Nope, as long as they are for a Smith and Wesson K/L frame and for a round butt or square butt.
Me: Can you send them to me?
Hogue lady: Credit card #, please.
2 days later I had the @#$%* grips. ARRRRRGGGH!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
To some small degree I can appreciate gun store people being rude every now and then. How many people come in there wanting to handle all the guns knowing they're not going to buy anything? Drop the slide, dry fire, put some more of that wear circle on the cylinder, whatever. This more in mom and pop places then the big joints.

Having said that, gun stores can be very weird places on both sides of the counter. I don't like the cliquey gun stores where there always seems to be the same people hanging out with all kinds of advice and things to add. "I'm sorry, do you work here?"

On the other hand you have the bigger department type stores where your experience can be hit or miss at best. One time you'll get a guy that knows his stuff and what he doesn't know he isn't afraid to admit. The next time you get Joe Gun who knows absolutely nothing about everything. Like the TV salesman at an appliance store who is qualified to sell TV's because he watches a lot of TV.

I'm lucky enough to have developed a good dealer/customer relationship with a guy that has a shop about an hour away. It's well worth the drive as far as I'm concerned. He gives me a fair price (usually less then the stores near me) and the service is great. I always deal with the same guy. Send him an email, he tells me when it's in, I drive out and pick it up. He doesn't give me the greatest price ever so he has to shut down next year and I don't end up owing him anything after the transaction is complete.

I did have one bad experience at his shop once though. I left work early to drive out there and my NICS check was delayed. Make the trip twice for the same gun? :(

·
Registered
691 Posts
How about shops that don't know what they have?

Walk in to a local store, and see a Colt National Match in good shape, ask to see it (price tag says $495) I was getting excited!

Slide says Colt National Match, frame says Essex! NUTS!

The guy goes on and on about what a good gun it is, the quality, the accuracy...
so I ask who built it?

You can guess the rest of the conversation, and needless to say I didn't buy it, but I sure wish I had that slide!

Byrd

·
Registered
153 Posts
I live near Clarks Custom Guns. The folks are friendly and helpful. The problem - they are more expensive than anyone else in the area. If they would just offer competitive prices they would have all my business. Almost all the other gun stores around are run or staffed by anti-social types, 20 somethings that think they know everything, or other wierdos.

I REALLY wish we could just by factory direct at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My gunstore Arlington Arms is great! The owner has given me great deals, cut $100 off most of my purchases without haggling and gives me lots of time to pay off pistols or rifles.

My FFL dealer/gunsmith is the BEST......Sledgehammer Arms! A good friend and really goes out of the way to help me out. He also does GREAT refinishing and FAL builds!!!

If you are in the D/FW area, look them up or contact me and I'll give you contact info.

·
Premium Member
15,217 Posts
I never go to a gunstore for anything. I just can't take the crap any more. The last one I went to was when I was thinking about a CZ97 .45. I had been seeing them at the show for $425, but the store had it for $565. I asked them if they could do a little better than that, and you would have thought I just threw a turd over the counter. To hell with a gun store - I'm all internet and gun show now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the only bad thing about buying a gun on the internet is you can't inspect it until you receive it .... Some guns I'm very comfortable in doing this way but for 1911 type guns I have to inspect them because I have found so many various differences in the models that I have laid my hands on.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a recent experience at a local gunshop/indoor range. I was shopping around for prices on a specific 1911 brand and model. This shop didn't have the one I was looking for under glass though. The display cases formed a square with a desk/walking area in the center where two employees were chatting together.

I scurried over to the glass case where I was closer and could get their attention. I stood there about 3' away from them for about a minute staring at both. Finally, the woman looked over to me and said, "Yeah?"

I thought to myself, "That's not professional and courteous at all. I'm a potential customer willing to shell out several hundred dollars and this is how you greet me?" I felt like I was intruding on her work day.

I inquired about the price on the pistol. I was told that she can't give out the price since only the store's buyer would know and it depends upon which distributor he goes through.

I paused for a few seconds.

"And how do I contact your store's buyer?" I asked.

She gave me the info but I had to slow her down since it was an unintelligible name and it wasn't spelled like it sounded. At any rate, I politely thanked her and left the business concluding that I would not spend my money there ever.

I followed up with an email to the store informing them of my incident and contact information in case they wanted to speak to me in person. No follow-up as of yet.

·
Registered
614 Posts
No specifics. I used to haunt a little gun shop. The owner was an alcoholic. I bought a S&W round butt 32-20 Model 1902 in excellent condition for $150.00. The shop just sold out at an auction and folded. I wonder why?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts