1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You won't believe what I did last weekend at our IDPA match. I was shooting my Les Baer in CDP and having a pretty good day with clean targets and great times. Then along comes the El Presidente. Well, due to a large mud hole and a snow drift, the guys decided to set the El Pres up at 5 yards. Hmmmm...I finally get to go for a five second El Pres. Well, the timer buzzes and I spin around and fire the first six shots in a heartbeat and manage to make the smoothest, quickest mag change of my life. I go to riddle the freaking targets with the last six rounds and gun no go bang. As I am examining the pistol in total disbelief I hear one guy in the background (I love electronic muffs) say, "Damn that has to hurt". And another guy says, "He's gonna be pissed." Well, the flipping thumb safety was on and I end up with a 12 second El Pres. instead of my lifetime fantasy of 5 seconds.

When I am all finished I mention to the RO that I have no idea how the heck I bumped the thumb safety and he tells me that I didn't bump it. I reached up and put it on with my right thumb as soon as the pistol went into battery. I have no recollection at all of doing that. Comments? (be nice)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
"Muscle memory" is USUALLY a good thing. Not this time! Muscle memory is what your body does subconciously as learned through repeated movements. You practice your draw over and over again to get it right. Your brain/body now work subconciously to make all the right moves as quick as possible with minimum to no thought process. This is what happened here. You are used to flicking the safety up after re-loading from slide lock. I am. Safety and repeated practice has made this second nature to you, me and countless others. Normally this is a good thing - not in competition however!

I guess it's better to err on the side of safety. Better luck next time...BONEHEAD !!!

Just kiddin' - I couldn't keep a straight face forever after this mighty blunder!!!!

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 03-07-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts