1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the List gentleman, but long time 1911 shooter. Just got back from a week at GUNSITE. Private class, all Pistol. My new Kimber Pro Carry II was not up to the task. The pistol had 300 rds through it before goining to GUNSITE, in these 300 rds it would never go into full battery about every 4-5 rd. When I called Kimber, I got to talk to Anne. Her exact response to my problem was " this pistol design has been around since 1902, its normal to have 5-6 malfunctions every 100rds. If you are looking for reliability buy a Glock" This about took my breath away. I could not believe that a Kimber employee much less anyone that knows anything about the 1911 would say such a thing. I tried to get Dennis at the Proshop but I could never get past Anne. So now here I am at GUNSITE on day one....& by the 5th round same story, wont go into battery. SO long story short..my other 3 buddies are firing Kimbers too & guess what same thing. Battery & ejection issues seemed to be the disease. Yes we rotated different types of Mags...etc. Due to all of us having the same type issues Colonel Young arranged a conference call with Kimber, but Kimber was a "no show" I have talked with my buddies out at MCSOCOM Det 1 & they have had some problems with their Kimbers too... 30 out of 100 to be exact. What I woud like from this list is some feedback on Kimbers customer support. Frankly it sucks. To have an $800 pistol that is totally unreliable on a range much less a gunfight is not acceptable. If anyone has some GOOD imput on this I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Her exact response to my problem was " this pistol design has been around since 1902, its normal to have 5-6 malfunctions every 100rds.
She must be blonde, or she knew the company was about to give her walking papers. Anyway, she is a ditz.

I'm still not sold on the idea that a short barrelled 1911 works.

I can't help with Kimber's customer service. With ~12K through the Eclipse and ~3K through the Tactical Custom the only problem I've experienced was ammo related.

Eddie

·
Registered
142 Posts
f.t.f. ?

I have an Eclipse custom II with 1200 rounds thru it,not 1 f.t.f.or f.t.e. not one, knock on wood and i hope to never have these problems that everyone seems to have with thier kimbers.:rock:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Since January of last year my wife and I have purchased five Kimbers. Two were NIB and three were used but in very good condition. We have not had a malfunction to date with either factory ammunition (JHPs) or my handloads.

The key to this success, in my opinion, is that all of the above guns are of the first series. The Series II Kimbers do have problems, no matter the anecdotal reports of Series II guns that work. Also, it appears to me that Kimber's quality control has indeed gone down after they became the leading 1911 builder.

None of this helps you or your friends but you asked for feed back.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My kimbers been 100% reliable except for one mag that had weak springs so it was FTF the last round in the mag. Other than that no problems.

You said that you put 300 though the gun prior to going. That would suggest the gun wasnt properly broken in (accepted number is around 500-600). Also what lube are you using? My STI wouldnt go into battery untill i changed lubricants, now its almost 100%.

also i wasnt aware that the DET1's were delivered already...guess i havent been paying attention.

·
Administrator
72,492 Posts
Why is it that 1911s seem to be the only guns needing a "break in" period these days? I have never had to break in a Glock, Beretta, or HK.

Somebody's trying to tell us something, guys. Yes, it's the voice of John Browning from up in the heavens. He, Colt, and the Ordnance Dept. built it right the first time, so why are so many new 1911 manufacturers having trouble? Because they're not built to Ordnance spec anymore!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
dsk said:
Why is it that 1911s seem to be the only guns needing a "break in" period these days? I have never had to break in a Glock, Beretta, or HK.

Somebody's trying to tell us something, guys. Yes, it's the voice of John Browning from up in the heavens. He, Colt, and the Ordnance Dept. built it right the first time, so why are so many new 1911 manufacturers having trouble? Because they're not built to Ordnance spec anymore!
maybe the only handguns but even thats not true...many revolvers need break in, as do most benchrest and high quality rifles.

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
Normally, the Colts that I've purchased have worked right out of the box. No break in period was needed to get them to work. And yes, even my short barreled Colt Officer Model has worked all the time with very good accuracy.

Dsk is right. Once the gun companies start altering the original JB specs......Things get troublesome.

Once again, why would Colt dispose of the now infamous Swartz FP design for the Series 80 system?

Sorry for all your Kimber troubles Cutaway.

Regards,
Sam

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
I wish that Kimber would have change its name when they switched to Series-II guns. They are giving all the original ones a bad name.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
AZ Husker said:
I wish that Kimber would have change its name when they switched to Series-II guns. They are giving all the original ones a bad name.
Sad, but true. Maybe they should have simply changed their name to "Kimber II" . :(

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Why does this post sound like BS. There is a full time gunsmith at Gunsite...........what did he say? Couldn't get through to Dennis is the "pro shop?" Its called the Custom Shop and all you have to do is call Kimber and ask for Dennis. Kimber employee telling you to buy a Glock? Long time shooter of 1911's and takes a brand new malfunctioning gun to Gunsite with no other 1911?

Cute try Cutaway, but I'm not buyin' it...you piled it a bit too high.

BTW:

Pat _Rogers said:
The Kimber ICQB issued to MCSOCOM Det 1 receives no special attention at the factory, except that it is built to a certain requirement.

The pistols work just fine, thank you...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Kruzr said:
Why does this post sound like BS. There is a full time gunsmith at Gunsite...........what did he say? Couldn't get through to Dennis is the "pro shop?" Its called the Custom Shop and all you have to do is call Kimber and ask for Dennis. Kimber employee telling you to buy a Glock? Long time shooter of 1911's and takes a brand new malfunctioning gun to Gunsite with no other 1911?

Cute try Cutaway, but I'm not buyin' it.

BTW:
was thinking along the same lines....but i wasnt gonna be the one to say it:biglaugh: ...and its his one and only post...hmmm

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Cutaway said:
.....long time 1911 shooter..... My new Kimber Pro Carry II was not up to the task. The pistol had 300 rds through it before goining to GUNSITE, in these 300 rds it would never go into full battery about every 4-5 rd.
Cutaway,
Kruzr is right on the money. Why would a "long time 1911 shooter" take a malfunctioning pistol to Gunsite?:(

·
Registered
146 Posts
i dont know what to say. i work at a gun range and we have 5 Kimber rentals and they have never had a problem and they dont get cleaned that often. they are all series 2 as well. my own Kimberr runs 100% and i have total confidence in Kimber.

either you have bad ammo, bad mags, or you limp wrist.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is one thing for sure that is true about Cutaway's claim, and that is that a person named "Ann" does work in the Custom shop. I cant imagine she would tell folks to go buy a Glock though. Maybe she was having a really bad day.

Im with 45auto. I guess if I could afford to go to Gunsite I would make darn sure I had a functioning gun.

I don't doubt that you have problems with your pistol, Cutaway. I know exactly how you feel, as I am going through something similar. Hopfully Kimber will make this right and restore our confidence.

Boatride....I also was a range officer. We had about three times the number of Kimbers you had. We did have a few problems, but nothing major. To say that his problem MUST be him is a little hasty. Although user error is most often the case, it isnt always the case.

StudentoftheGun

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have 2 Kimbers, a tac II and a gold mach II both with 5 inch barrels and have had no problems with then, and I shoot the cheapest ammo I can find. I have heard a few folks with shorter barreled 1911s having problems until they shot them enough to weaken the recoil springs I was told that this is because of the short slides on the guns. I don't know if this is true, but is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm running six Kimbers including one II and two 3"; no problems other than ammunition related. Two of the Kimbers have been through week long Gunsite courses; never had to get out the back up gun. The Eclipse II just went through a week at the Site; no function problems. On the basis of this, I have to share Kruzr's suspicions. Gunsite has several good 1911 gunsmiths on staff and they make a point of dropping everything to get a student's gun running. Cutaway's story (and his failure to respond) just don't make sense.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I hope this is not true. If I would have got that response from a Customer service rep you better beleive I would have been talking to her boss.
ALso, why take a gun that does not even come close to functioning properly to Gunsite?
IF there really is a problem call the BBB. I had to with Taurus to get anything done.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.