1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just posted a reply on another thread, that made me think of this, thought i would run it past you fellow LEO's

when i carry concealed, its IWB, sometimes i have my badge on the belt next to it, just in case for some reason my shirt came up and someone seen it the badge would also be there. ( the idea being that it may put them at ease a little, i dont announce that im LEO if im off duty) i purposely by shirts that are a little long but not " gangsta" baggy.. lol

i figure most states are the same, in oklahoma, to carry off duty we must have our drivers lic, state commission card, and our dept id and our badge.

like i said, i dont try to advertise that im LEO off duty like i see some people do, but if it keeps me from getting shot when someone screams " gunnnn!!!" than its worth it.. lol the badge is hidden, but next to the gun.

just a side note, when i was in police academy, one of the instructors told us that he carries his LEO id's in a seperate wallet than his normal one. he said that he actually got asked about it once, when an officer ask him if he was a cop. he asked how the officer knew and he said " because you have two wallets"

the reason behind it is if you do get mugged, you give them the normal wallet, and they dont get your credentials, see your a cop and maybe shoot you. im not making this up, just what we were told.

just curious on what your thoughts are on carrying your badge concealed next to your holster.

i will say, as i said in my reply, i dont like those "conceal carry badges". to me a badge is a symbol of authority and dedication.

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't put my badge on my belt when I carry off duty. But, I usually have a 5 shot in my pocket or on my ankle. KInda hard for anyone to see. I carry a wallet and an ID case. Mainly because I have not found a good trifold ID case that will fit my Cinco Peso badge. They make for our Trooper badges, but the cut out is too big for my badge.

I agree with you on the concealed carry badge. When the public see it, they assume the person wearing it is a cop.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I've been sitting on a badge for 27 years. It's in my left rear pocket so my non-gun hand can get to it while I draw my pistol. I rarely wear one on my belt unless there is a holster visible.
Be careful how you carry stuff. After 27 years in uniform with a full duty belt and that badge in my left pocket, I now feel the effect on my lumbar and the nerves running to my legs. Sure , I thought I was a tough guy just like everyone else but sitting crooked on that stuff over time made me pay some dues I wasn't aware of!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was told by several members of my dept., and Mal Sr. who is about to roll 39 years on the job, to carry my i.d. and badge in a seperate wallet. I never had a very large bank roll so I could carry 2 skinny wallets in the same pocket, lol. My Bodyguard was in the opposite front pocket so I could present both as needed. Until I moved to Florida I had never seen "tactical" uniforms and thought everyone I saw in bdu's was SWAT, and everyone with a badge on their belt was a detective. This was a few, um, alot of years ago...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have my normal wallet and a badge wallet that is pretty slim. IWB for my Glock 22.

I typically go with an untucked shirt, so you can't see my wallets anyway.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My Sheriff got all of us (free) concealed carry permits so we wouldn't have to carry a badge if we didn't want to.

I don't carry off-duty for enforcement, only for safety.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I see a lot of new guy's carring the badge next to the gun off duty. I do not. I carry an ID card in my pocket and that's that. If someone see's my gun and calls the police it's not a big deal. 10 years now and it hasn't happened yet. I also stopped carring a wallet all together, i was feeling some effects that Mick0610 was talking about. My badge stays in my locker. We also have very cheap badges and after carring in a wallet for a while the numbers fall off.. :rock:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Retired now, but carried my badge and ID in separate wallets for 27 years. In fact, I still do! I carry concealed and always have it on my weak back pocket.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've posted once already, but I didn't mention that for my agency, unless you have a concealed carry permit, you are required to carry your ID and BADGE if armed off-duty.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
For years we were told that we were "on duty" 24-hours/day, even if we were off the clock. That finally got changed when a few guys demanded overtime pay. I still carry my "retired" star in my off-pocket but have a CCW in my wallet. Used to keep one on a chain around my neck to pull out quickly and still have both hands. I found that the badge in front of the gun carry didn't have much effect, all the innocents saw was the gun and someone sweeping open their cover garment to get it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Badge

The quote about carrying for safety and not enforcement is great!

I also carry IWB 99% of the time with an untucked shirt. When carrying in this manner, I keep my gun side clear of anything that could cause my support hand to snag on the draw as I lift my shirt - hence why I don't clip my badge next to my gun. When carrying with a suit or other similar type garment where you sweep the concealing garment open, I don't think it's a big deal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In the summer I carry a 5" 1911 on my right hip in a Milt Sparks VMII with the badge on a belt clip right in front of the holster and a t-shirt over it. As far as I know noone has ever seen it.

In the winter I carry a 5" 1911 in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster over a t-shirt and under a long sleeve button up denim or flannel shirt unbuttoned. I put my belt clip with badge on the shoulder strap above the gun. I don't think anyone has ever seen that one either.

The reason I carry the badge in addition to my wallet badge is if I need to use the gun I have a visible means of identyfying myself to other responding officers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't carry off-duty for enforcement, only for safety.
There it is. The "two wallet" concept is sound... unless you CARRY both of them. That, I could never figure out. I did it when an active trooper, but the ONLY time the ID wallet was on my person was when I was on duty. Off duty, it stayed in my vehicle. What's the point of trying to be covert if the ID is there to be found on you?

I'm retired now, but work for a sheriff's office. No LE work at all; didn't even draw a uniform. I work at the range. The sheriff's ID and badge, along with my retired state police creds, stays in my "man-purse" at ALL times; I never carry it on my person.

Here's my reasoning: the main "use" I would put any of that ID to is as a "road pass"- although I find myself driving a LOT less aggressively as I age- to avoid a ticket. Its in the ride if I need it for that. If I'm going somewhere where I think i'll need it (to get past a metal detector, for instance), then I'll shove it in a pocket.

If I have to fire my off-duty weapon for whatever purpose, if I survive I'll be able to secure the ID before responding units arrive. If I'm not able to do that, then I'll probably be past caring or needing it anyway.

You can "what-if" this deal all day long; but in the end, I'd prefer that no one have a clue about me, period. That means keeping your iron hidden; and too many young cops of my acquaintance don't understand that, or simply don't care.

I guess the best way I've heard it put was by one of my mentors, when I was a pup and we were discussing what to do/not do during off duty status:

"The first clue I want the bad guy to have, that all is not well in his world, is my muzzle flash."

·
Registered
92 Posts
Never carry a badge off duty. Just carry my dept ID on a lanyard around my neck. Never had any issues with others seeing my weapon yet.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Well during my short career I have changed several times, mostly due to current assignment. For the last 4-5 years I have carried a regular wallet (thin) with a Department ID in it. I have found that with age the ole badge wallet was a little to thick. While at work, plainclothes, my badge is on my belt in front of my pistol. While I have a ID/Badge case it is very rarely carried and routinely resides in my briefcase which is transferred from my squad to my POV daily. I have and will continue to carry daily and have never had my weapon seen that I know of while off duty. I routinely carry either a Colt Commander, S&W 642 or Seacamp depending on the location. The commander and seacamp are carried daily at work and have been for the past 4 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I keep my badge and ID in a separate wallet...I don't like the idea of one wallet, because everytime you take it out to pay for something your badge, whether on purpose of accidental, will flop out for all to see...The whole point while off-duty is to be unknown, that way you have a tactical advantage if something does go down...

As far as location, I keep the badge wallet in my front pocket on my support side...If you need to draw your weapon, you can have your ID in your support hand before the troops start to arrive while still maintaining gunpoint with your strong hand...You may be unknown to whatever jurisdiction you're in while off-duty and you don't want to end up catching a round...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts