1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new Super Tac, my first Baer, last month and have put 1500 rounds through it - best gun I've ever shot.

Anyway, the Bear Coat is wearing off in the high wear areas - slide rails, barrel under bushing, etc. I expect this is normal, am I correct?

thanks in advance
$

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
The teflon finishes, in general, show high resistance to corrosion, and average resistance to wear. Do not fret, just keep it clean & well lubed, and shoot it until it's down to bare metal. There are plenty of refinishers that would like nothing more than to make you fall back in love with a reliable, accurate, and well proven pistol.

Be well!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Re: Re: Baer Coat wear

tthiel said:
Interesting. I have four Armor tuffed Wilsons and none of them showed that kind of wear after only 1500 rounds. Guess I'll get my Thunder Ranch done at Robar instead of Baer.
Actually, Wilsons used to be famous for how poor the wear resistance of the "Armor Scuff" finish was. Supposedly the newer formula is a lot better. But none of the polymer finishes will give much wear resistance. The problem isn't so much with Armor Tuff (or Bearcoat, there is no such finish as Baer Coat ;) ), as with the excessive expectations people have from these finishes. You just won't get alot of wear resistance from the polymer wonder finishes compared to, say, hard chrome or even nickel.

·
Banned
570 Posts
FWIW I too have new SRP with about 750 rounds through it. The Baer coat is holding up better than a blue finish. Nothing compares to HC though.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have Black-T and it has worn much like your Bear Coat. After 3500 rounds and a lot of holster work it still looks really good. The high wear areas show some wear, but on the whole it's doing pretty well. I have found it to be at least as good as blueing or parkerizing, and a whole lot more resistant to corrosion. Of course, hard chrome is better, but it isn't black.

I'm sold on the Teflon finishes!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is that ture- that old wilson's had poor wear resistance. Some loser flamed me about that.
I bought a used baer - as a pawn shop of all places ;-) . the coating ( i thought it was parkerization) was wearing off.
So that armor tuff does have issues with it wearing off. The gun has about 3,000 rounds threw it. looks like it has been holster drawn alot.

·
Banned
256 Posts
I think a lot of the problem is the names they come up with for these finishes. I would expect something called "armour tuff" to resist a HEAT round from a 120mm Abrams smooth bore, not scratch off with a fingernail. If they had called it "sorta tuff" no one would be complaining. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
It would all depend on how the gun is shot and what kind of holster is being used, as well as the enviornment that it is shot. If it is a dusty place with a kydex or similar holster, sure I can see a lot of wear if youre drawing and firing 2-3 rounds at a time. If it is a gun you pull out of a gunrug at the range bench, then a lot of rounds will show very little wear.

The amount of wear is not always equal to the amount of rounds shot.

My Supertac has well over 8k downrange and shows a LOT of wear and polishing of the finish in the exterior contact areas.

All polymer finishes wear faster. After all, it is just paint.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts