1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
465 Posts
That is a very interesting pistol. I have always been impressed with Mr. Baer's work and I personally do not blame him for averting the requirements of the Bureau. If I were into niche building, and safe queen was a qualifier, that little sucker would be bid on.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good find on the Cabelas. I believe they are supposed be the same gun. :hrm:

·
Administrator
10,887 Posts
Why do you think they are the same gun? Different grips, different rear sights, different mag wells and one is supposedly in TX and the other appears to be in Wisconsin. Or are you saying they are supposed to be the same gun, but clearly are not?
It looks like the gunbroker gun may be a first series gun and the Cabelas may be a second series gun. Read the page that is pictured on the Cabelas listing if you aren't sure what I mean by 1st & 2nd series.

·
Super Moderator
13,571 Posts
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=147597786

Anyone remember this? I know what it's supposed to be. But I cant find anything referencing this a legit.

Just curious.
I have a Guns & Ammo with an article featuring the trial. If this is one of the actual guns submitted to the FBI, it's probably been shot a bunch of times. Maybe it was rebuilt or refinish by Baer.

Like Tim Burke said, this appeared to be a different gun from the one Cabelas is trying to sell.

I am not interested.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do you think they are the same gun? Different grips, different rear sights, different mag wells and one is supposedly in TX and the other appears to be in Wisconsin. Or are you saying they are supposed to be the same gun, but clearly are not?
It looks like the gunbroker gun may be a first series gun and the Cabelas may be a second series gun. Read the page that is pictured on the Cabelas listing if you aren't sure what I mean by 1st & 2nd series.
I ment same model of gun (FBI "Prototype"). Obviously, it's not the same gun. I was under the impression that LB's initial samples had adjustable sights, a contributor to his loss of the contract. The Cabelas gun looks like it has Novaks to me. The Gunbroker one looks like the adjustable sights (MMC) used by LB at around that time.

Also, the Cabelas gun looks like 30lpi checkering, while the Gunbroker one looks like 20lpi on the front strap. I would have said the Gunbroker gun was more authentic. Not worth $3k to me though. Interesting if its real though.

Maybe a call to LB later today.

·
Administrator
10,887 Posts
According to the story on the page pictured on the Cabelas ad, Les Baer made the first series of guns in response to the FBI RFP. Subsequently, the FBI changed the specs and extended the deadline. One of the changes was to require Novak rear sights. Baer took the first series, apparently without ever actually submitting them to the FBI, & sold them.
The second series also had MMC adjustable sights and were apparently submitted that way. They were returned, with a request to change the adjustable MMC sights out for fixed rear Novaks. According to the article, Les decided not to replace the sights and resubmit. They were also sold... it doesn't say that the sights were replaced prior to that.
Technically, I don't think Baer lost the contract. I think he withdrew before the evaluation process was complete. I'm not sure he ever got to the point in the evaluation process where the guns were fired.
There is no mention if the checkering specs changed between the first and second series. I don't think so, as the SA Pro has 20 lpi front strap checkering. Isn't this the bid that was eventually won by Springfield? Tthe Cabelas gun does look like 30 lpi.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Technically, I don't think Baer lost the contract. I think he withdrew before the evaluation process was complete.
Correct, I mis-stated earler.

Still an interesting pair of guns. Not worth the price of admission to me...but interesting non the less.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
10,887 Posts
Like you, I find them interesting... but not enough to buy them. If you do call Les Baer, please let us know what he says.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
It is my understanding that the FBI specifically spec'd no front cocking serrations. I couldn't say if that was early or late in the process.

The GB pistol seems to have the LB logo on the grips, seems kinda odd to me to have those on the FBI gun.

Interesting and beautiful pistols though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm pretty sure that FBI prototype Baer and another slightly used are posted for sale at the LTW forum. Neat pistols but I'm not so sure they are worth the asking price.

·
Administrator
10,887 Posts
Yeah, same pictures as the GB.com listing. Asking $4K for the one that's been shot and $6K for the NIB one.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, same pictures as the GB.com listing. Asking $4K for the one that's been shot and $6K for the NIB one.
OUCH! I'm expecting to pay that for a "Bureau Model", and it was the winner :biglaugh:

To each his own, I guess.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Lets put this net back and forth to rest for a sec!!!!

I ment same model of gun (FBI "Prototype"). Obviously, it's not the same gun. I was under the impression that LB's initial samples had adjustable sights, a contributor to his loss of the contract. The Cabelas gun looks like it has Novaks to me. The Gunbroker one looks like the adjustable sights (MMC) used by LB at around that time.

Also, the Cabelas gun looks like 30lpi checkering, while the Gunbroker one looks like 20lpi on the front strap. I would have said the Gunbroker gun was more authentic. Not worth $3k to me though. Interesting if its real though.

Maybe a call to LB later today.

I am the owner of a Les Baer Swat prototype enhanced. What is this???? glad you asked. That person, Randy Currin, mentioned in the Ad was quite a force of nature. When Les made the 5 prototypes, he (Randy) sold them for Les. he also asked Les to make him 10 more guns with better, HIGHER 30 LINE checkering and different sights. These were the ENHANCED MODELS. They were also a few hundred dollars less as they were not the ORIGINAL 5 with the 20 line checkering. Of course there could only be 5 originals. Randy said if you are not going to collect it, and you are going to shoot it, buy the enhanced as it was the same gun, only a little more friendly to shoot with the smoother checkering. I bought it, and the original SRP wide body Para frame from Randy, ,. Yes the enhanced has the full set of spares. It is a safe queen. I wish I had spent the addl 4 hundred dollars for one f the 5 originals. Randy's price at the time in 1998, was 2800 for the enhanced, and 3200 for the original 5. I am not sure which is which although I will take a pic again and post my piece on the board. When you call the Baer shop, they say it is a special build for a distributor. Thats exactly what it was.

·
Registered
673 Posts
SRP wide body Para frame

jaydbot,

Can you post a pic of the the original SRP wide body Para frame gun?

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts