1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy bought Baer frames from Brownell's. A standard 1911 mainspring will not line up with the pin hole in the frame. What is going on here. Has Baer modied his frame so only a Baer mainspring housing will work?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't doubt it. He only guarantees his guns to run with his magazines.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I noticed the same issue when I tried an Ed Brown arched MSH on my TRS.

You could remove a small amount of metal from the top of the rail on the MSH so it will seat higher. Then file (if needed) the MSH if there is any interference with the grip safety.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There we go! Perhaps a little extra meat on each end for final up and down fitting. I have not personally held the frame and MSH yet... Maybe next week.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I put an S&A arched msh in my Monolith. It had a bit too much metal that I had to smooth down to get a perfect fit. I think some of the drop in parts may have a bit too much metal and benefit from a bit of cleaning up.

(prolly due to tight tolerances in Baers too)

:)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think Baer uses a little tighter tolerances on everything. I have noticed this in nearly all parts. I didn't care for the aggressive checkering on the TRS msh, so went to a EB chainlink. I had to do more than a little fitting on a part that is almost always "drop in". The same for the mag release. I like the slightly extended EB unit that I put on all of my guns. I have never had to substantially fit this part either. The Baer frame cutout is significantly smaller than the mil-spec. Sight dovetails a few thous smaller, too, as is documented. His guns are known to be tight, and I think he probably squeezes the tolerances on all the dimensions a bit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
FWIW, I dropped in either a Fusion or EGW magwell (don't remember which - bought both, put one in a TRS & the other in a Kimber).

It went in just fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All of the components on LBC pistols are fit together by hand. This includes the Mainspring housing. After the housing is fit into the frame the bottom of the housing and the frame are matched together for a flush fit. I think you will always have trouble fitting "Drop in Parts" to custom guns no matter the Manufacturer. Also be sure to check the Mainspring Housing, it may be the problem not the frame.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mainspring housing in question fits Colt and Wilson 1911s... I am looking forward to seeing the Baer frames in question myself. The gunsmith is literally disgusted with the overall condition of the frames. Says that there isn't a pin hole in the frame that doesn't have a burr....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mainspring Housing Fit

I've installed Wilson mainspring housings in 2 of my 3 Baer's. In both cases, I had to do quite of fitting to get them on. I like the Wilson 20 X 30 mainspring housings and have installed them on most of my 1911's. The Baers are the only guns where they haven't been a drop in fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts