1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently moved to a pretty remote 40 odd acre lot, ressurected and revitalized my mindset and saw to the land perimeter etcetera I opted for a Bear TRS Home Defense Monolith with M3 light for .. er .. home defense. Being a dummy I assumed that the tac rail in the Baer pics really was a tac rail and not a bit of metal "tacked" onto the frame. The pistol is great as a HD pistol (on 40 odd acres out in the sticks it's nice to have) and is dead on accurate and more importantly (for me) totally reliable so far. Now to carrying it around on my property 24/7 !! With that "tacky" tac rail and no light it isn't an easy gun to holster .. or to get a holster for. I'm keeping the gun as I just couldn't part with it now but do I have to buy another Baer model to carry around? I haven't asked Les but I'd guess he wouldn't approve of a screwdriver meeting his "tac rail" and anyway it'd be an off-on-off-on affair at best to follow this route which really is a non-starter. So, can anyone suggest a suitable holster for the HD with light, and if I were to get another Baer I'm inclined towards the SRP or (poles apart) the Monolith heavyweight in 5". Better mention that I'm on the wrong side of 60 yrs old and have advanced arthritis that occasionally turns my thumbs into two big toes :) I have many pistols and revolvers but the only ones that come close to giving me the peace of mind that the Baer does is my 686 in 4" and my H&K P7 (which I can't even squeeze sometimes !!) I don't care for 1911's under 5" barrel length, do love Baers and don't mind if I have to buy another but would appreciate members opinions and advice before I jump into yet another fire from my gunfrying pan. BTW I do like the Ed Brown Executive too (heresy on this forum I know and apologize) ... but any comments welcomed. As a backup I have a Springer TRP - not the PRO. It's very good but not quite a Baer :biglaugh:
-------------
NRA Life Member, 10mm and 45 fan, my wife thinks we have a ranch - I think we have a 40 acre shooting range :)

· Registered
1,389 Posts
10:
Nice pistol! I know that there are manufacturers that make holsters for a 1911 with a lightrail, but your pistol is kind or unique as it features a heavy extended dust cover with a light attachment. I am not aware of any manufacturer that makes regular production holster for the Monolith with the lightrail attachment. However, you could send it to Milt Sparks and have them make you a custom fitted holster for your Monolith (with lightrail attachment), or contact Baer for their recommendations. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks to you both for your advice and comments. After posting I started to really think about the whole issue (does posting do that to you :) ) and feel now that I should leave the LB HD as it is and for the purpose it was designed for on the night table (or wherever I am at the time after hours) and get another for general use. That sort of rules out the Monolith as there are few holsters for it. I'd like to stick with a Baer though .. for some reason Wilson's don't light my fire when I hold them and the only Ed Brown that feels okay is the Executive (not target). I want to stick to a 5" brl so it looks like the SRP as I like all of it's qualities and prefer fixed sights. Maybe overkill but the SRP fits my hand and I won't be buying too many more guns (or selling them again either) at my age ;) so it will be around as long as I am. Any comments welcomed on my choice.

Great men usually have a great woman behind them. Way way behind them :D

· Registered
35 Posts
What a choice...

Enjoyed reading about your choice. I bought a Les Baer Monolith but found out the hard way that holsters for it aren't that plentiful. BladeTech made a nice Kydex although I much prefer leather. I wish you well with your SRP, what a serious piece of gear that one is, please let us know how it works once you get some rounds through one. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

· Registered
757 Posts
Rinspeed said:
Lou Alessi is another one that could probably do a custom holster for you.
Lou doesn't have time for Lou right now - ain't gonna happen so don't bother.:grumble:

· Registered
833 Posts
10and45,

have you considered the standard TRS. It's a five inch gun that does not have the light rail and just as reliable as all the other Baers. Also, it's less expensive than the SRP. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.