1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure Santa (my wife) has ordered a Kimber TLE for me for Christmas. I'll know in two weeks. If she didn't I'd like to buy a Baer Thunder Ranch instead, or maybe anyway. I've got a Les Baer catalog showing "retail prices", and everywhere I've looked on the web, new prices are pretty close to retail. Is that what I'm in for, or is there a better route to savings? I'd actually like the Thunder Ranch w/o front slide serrations, and I'd read that LB is a semi-custom factory, that tailors it's pistols to what the customer wants. Is this true? Would I need to place a special order through a specific LB dealer rather than a local gun shop? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
544 Posts
jmcneil,

I believe that the Thunder Ranch is about the only gun through LB that you can NOT customize or deviate from the original offering in the catalog.

Anyone can order direct from him however, it has to be shipped to a FFL.

Give him a call and see what he can and will do for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
459 Posts
jmacneil
Pretty nice Santa ya got there. If you get a chance go for the Les Baer. TRS or Premier II are great weapons. I have heard pretty good things about the TLE but I prefer the Baers..

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I currently own two TRS's and a Kimber TLE/RL. Have also owned a standard TLE. Both of the TLE models are excellent weapons, but they are not in the same class as the TRS. However.........I would not be the least bit disappointed to get a TLE as a Christmas present. In my area (where Baers' are very scarce) they draw top dollar. I haven't gotten any "deals" on either of my guns, but haven't regretted it for one minute.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I 100% agree, nothing wrong with a TLE at all! More the better I say, LOL. If Santa has any left over presents I'm in SoCal!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Boot Camp was at Quantico, VA, hot in the summer cold in the winter, LOL. Yea yea yea I know all the officer jokes. Went 0302 and hit the fleet with 1/9 then asigned to 2/5 where I did my time.

Our FMF time overlapped but unless you were in 5th Marines our paths most likely didn't cross. Infantry units had the unit rotation thing just underway back then so I did the Okanawa thing right away.

Semper Fi.

·
Banned
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. I've been away from a computer for a couple of days. I'm really looking forward to the TLE, (not the TLE/RL---it's ugly to my eyes), and I WILL be grateful. It won't be my last gun, for sure, but will allow me much more practice and trigger time without worrying about puting miles on my more collectable 1911s, and seems like a good value for the features and accuracy it's supposed to have. A Les Baer is still in my future however.

I recal seeing a gun very similar to the TR but with an ambi safety and no TR markings. I might be able to order that model w/o the ambi safety or front serrations and have the gun I'm looking for. I'm not sold on the TR because of the name and neat logo on the slide, but rather the clean and simple features that the TR comes with. Thanks again for the feedback. I'll check in again in a day or two.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Man that is one fast track promotion curve, job well done. I didn't get up to 1st Marines much. 2/5 kept me busy enough and by the time liberty came I was gone. After my over seas deployment I was the Bn Legal Officer then when too short to deploy again moved to Bn S1A and ultimately up to the regimental level. I enjoyed my service time alot but just didn't want to make it a career.

I competed in the Marines with the 1911. My last 60 days I was TAD Western Division Matches and did nothing but shoot match grade 1911's and M14's. That was a sweet gig. Had a SSgt that showed me the ropes on getting an FFL then it was off to the races. Now those were the days! CA today well... nuff's been said about that.

Just joined the ranks of Wilson owners with a CQB. They put out a very nice weapon. Noticed you have some sweet pistolas in the inventory there ( thought I'd get back to a pistol topic to prevent anyone blowing a fuse, LOL).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Okay just rub it in with those high capacity magazines! Told ya I was in CA. My primary 1911's are a CQB and a Premier II. The PII is what I use in IDPA competitions. The CQB is brand new to me and haven't quite figured out where it will be used. This is a non-carry state otherwise I'd carry the CQB. For now in practice matches I pay for two guns and use both. I understand your feelings about both. I would have liked a TRS but I got a great deal on the PII with only 100rds thu it. A friend of mine has a Hard Chromed TRS and it's perfect.

Western Division Matches (WDM) came about because I only had 90 days left on active duty and I told the Regimental S1 what the deal was. "You can send me to WDM as the OIC of our team and I'll work my ass off the last 30 days or you can play find the Lieutenant for my last 90 days.....which is it"? That was a long time ago but I still don't remember him laughing. It was an awesome expierence. I always got the weapon detail anyway as my CO's knew I was a gun freak. It sure allowed me to get alot of hands on time. One day I'll have to tell you how I nearly burned down Okinawa!

I get out to AZ about every other month. Tucson use to be a regular stop but it isn't a profitable area for me so I've really cut down my trips there. Recently met some new clients that work there so I may put it back into the rotation next year. I do plan on catching some IDPA matches in Phoenix & Scottsdale next year. Also plan on shooting the AZ Nationals. We should hook up for a match or range session some time.

BTW Wilson 47D's are the only magazines I own...8 rounders.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Getting back to mags:

I like the Power mags best. I think the mag body is stronger then Wilson but the Wilsons do look very good. I did a spring comparision once and the Power Mag spring has more coils then Wilson did.

Right now I am using the Power mags with a low profile Wilson steel base plate. Had to trim for fit but its an all steel mag now.

Frankinmags.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think 8 is the limit, not really sure. 10 would be nice for the steel stuff however. The reality is 8 is fine for everything I shoot.

Are you going to shoot the AZ State IDPA match? Any nice ranges in Tucson or can you still shoot in the desert?

·
Registered
459 Posts
IDPA is fun pretty informal. Home site is http://www.idpa.com/menu.htm

AZ State IDPA May 3&4 Sat/Sun.
http://www.cactusmatch.com/calendar.htm

Steel shooting is alot of fun as well. My SoCal club has steel practice matches every Thurs just wish we had longer distances most everything is 7-20 yards.

LOL yea use to shoot outside The Stumps all the time. Not sure how grown up it is now that was a long time ago but having the run of the desert to set up targets the way you wanted to and shoot with nobody around was alot of fun.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
jmcneil, welcome to the forum! You might try to find a deal at http://www.gunsamerica.com I got my Custom Carry via a dealer on that site for $1625 NIB.

rwmagnus said:
I think 8 is the limit, not really sure. 10 would be nice for the steel stuff however. The reality is 8 is fine for everything I shoot.
10rdrs are perfectly Cali-legal.

You guys know what Private Messages are? :p

:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
sniper,

Delete the link to the pistol auction as it is a violation of the forum rules to promote weapon sales. Send the other party an email if you like.

Privat messages can be found by clicking on the regester tab at the top of the page then click on change your profile. You will then see a Private Message tab at the top of the page. They are for sending private communications to other board members.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Wow, I thought I had seen thread hijackings before. tthiel and rwmagnus, take your sidebar comversatin to PM or email. jmcneil, welcome to the forum. And congratulations and having such a nice wife to get you a Kimber, or the Baer, for Christmas.

·
Registered
459 Posts
JF Sorry guess we did geet alittle off topic, but i did say Santa was being very nice to him. Will stay on target next time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts