1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice when it comes to 1911's. My Kimber has a FLGR and my new Premier II has a standard which I never knew existed till I purchased my LB. I am toying with the idea of purchasing a Baer stainless FLGR and plug. Please educate the pros/cons of this part. Also, does the FLGR use the identical springs as does the standard guide rod. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Spring rate will be the same. I recommend a search on this topic and you'll be able to read for hours the very opinionated discussions. Personally, I don't care about them either way. Happy Searching!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I dont see many reasons but one may be extra weight forward in the gun to reduzle muzzle rise. The problem on my TRP was that the stupid thing was 2 piece and needed a wrench to come apart and would loosen on its own even with locktite.

So no real benefit in my opinion so keep what works and leave the stock one in.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Spring rate will be the same. I recommend a search on this topic and you'll be able to read for hours the very opinionated discussions. Personally, I don't care about them either way. Happy Searching!
Yep, I am one who is very opinionated.

My opinion is you need to have a spring guide. All of them work. Plus or minuses of each type would depend on which type you prefer.

I do not see any advantage to one type over the other.

I read people say they have difficulity taking apart a gun with a full lenght guide rod. If the guide rod is properly fit, just remove the barrel bushing and disassemble the gun. No big deal. Not enough added weight to make any difference if you use a proper shooting grip.

I read people say they need the standard spring guide so they can perform a "press check" by hooking a finger under the muzzle and around the recoil spring plug. (why you anyone use this method of press check when you have to place a body part near the muzzle of a loaded firearm and there are safer methods to perform a press check)

I won't get started on the one had rack proceedure, again many other ways to accomplish this task.

Bottom line, again, just my opinion:

Use what you want, all types of spring guides/guide rods (if properly fit) work just fine.

·
Registered
738 Posts
While I am no advocate of the FLGR, they do serve two purposes. First, in a loose gun, it effectively adds a third rail. Second, in any gun, it adds a little mass out at the muzzle. In the case of SS, I wouldn't call it "significant", but it's there.

The down side, especially in a Les Baer, is that you cannot draw the slide far enough out of battery when you turn the bushing. So, everytime you take the upper down, you're grinding away at your bb-to-bushing fit. Over the long term, I don't think that's a good thing.

Also, be aware that ALL Les Baer Parts are "Gunsmith" fit. That means that they need to fit to the specific gun. In the case of the FLGR, the rear of the rod, behind the flange is cut too large for the front of the link lug channel and will need to be milled down .002-.003 in order to fit in the gun.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I had to call and tell them about this in the description on the CC:

You'll look a long time to find a real custom pistol at a price this low. Baer's Custom Carry is perfectly suited to home defense, duty use or weekend plinking. Like all Baer pistols, it's guaranteed to shoot 3 inch groups at 50 yards. Features include:

Baer NM frame, NM slide and NM barrel with stainless bushing (see below for frame and slide options) • Baer deluxe fixed combat sight • Baer dovetail front sight, improved ramp style night sights • Double serrated slide (on full size model only) • Baer speed trigger with crisp 4 lb pull • Baer deluxe hammer and sear • Baer tactical style extended ambi safety • Beveled mag well • Polished feed ramp and throated barrel • Tuned extractor • Baer extended ejector • Baer checkered slide stop • Lowered and flared ejection port • Full length recoil guide rod • Recoil buff (on full size model only) • High checkered front strap @30 lpi • Tuned for total reliability • All corners rounded for tactical carry • Baer Premium Checkered Cocobolo grips • (2) 8-round premium magazine

Calibers: .45 ACP

It only comes up if you click the 10 California pistols from the main page.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts