1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any update on when the Baer Premier II will be posted on the CA-DOJ approved list? Any chance the TRS will be submitted for testing?

·
Registered
684 Posts
There's an SRP with a 22 kit for sale in the sale section of this site. You should check that out -- seems like a great deal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have/HAD a Customer in the P.R.K. whom went to his local FFL Dealer today (5/12/01), so that I could ship him his Premier II and was informed that Les Baers could NOT be IMPORTED (like the 1911A1 is somekind of NEW Pistol) into the P.R.K.
So I put together this list of URLs to help any and all in the ORDEAL.

End of Story.

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale, There are currently 503 models in the database. UPDATED May 9, 2001.

California Penal Code section 12125, et seq., - DOJ Firearms Division - 2001 Dangerous Weapons Control Law

CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE - FIREARMS DIVISION

State Of California - Department Of Justice - Office Of The Attorney General

Concealable Firearms Charges in California, 2000

I hope the above URLs help.

THANK G*D that I live in TEXAS!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank Sottile (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
370 Posts
there are a lot of handguns that Cant be sold in the PRK becuase of the new SB15 "handgun safety testing" law.

a gun maker must send to an independent testing lab 3 guns for every model, now thats 3 guns in EVERY model, caliber, barrel length and finish.
3 guns for model X with 5" barrel and blued and 45 cal.
3 guns for model X with 5" barrel and stainless and 45 cal
3 guns for model X with 4" barrel and blued and 45 cal.
3 guns for model X with 4" barrel and stainless and 45 cal.

3 more guns in a different caliber
3 more guns in different lengths

then these guns will have 600 rounds fired through them, and are not allowed more than 6 malfunctions
they will then be subject to being dropped from 4 feet(or more) onto a cement slab in 6 different drops (L. side, R side, muzzle, hammer, top side and under side)

if the gun fails one of these tests then it can not be sold in kalif
it costs $1200 per gun for testing to the lab, and a yearly fee paid to the state of $200 per model to list the gun for sale.

as you can see the testing destroys the gun, and its a VERY expensive process.

now figure that les baer and 1 model gun costing $2000, he would send 3 $2000 guns to be destroyed, and $1200 for each gun and another $200 to the state of kalif
your looking at $7400 for 1 model gun, in 1 barrel length, 1 caliber, 1 finish to be sold in kalif.
-- are there enough people in kalif who will buy a $2000 les baer gun so that les baer can pay for all that testing and crap ?

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Don't forget, USED guns are exempt from all this, so if your cousin got tired of his Les Baer, after a few days, he could legally sell it to you, even from another state. You'd just both have to go through local FFLs to do it.

Hmm, where's my cousin's phone number...?

·
Registered
45 Posts
As I understand it, both the buyer and seller need to be present at the local CA FFL dealer to do the private-party transfer.

Not sure what the deal is if the seller is an out-of-state resident and 'happens' to be in town... I would guess that could be a problem...

Any word if Baer is ever planning to get at least a few submitted for testing?

Figure if Wilson got 3 models approved for CA sale, Baer might want to consider sending his top selling models in for certification, at least one or two models to start...

Steve

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had heard that Bear had already submitted their PII and that it had passed the testing requirement. However Baer had not yet submitted their funds for the approval posting. Was I misinformed?

This all came about several months ago when the CA-DOJ restated their position as now being that of only those pistols "exactly" as submitted and tested would be listed. Hence the entire Baer line would not be approved because the PII passed as the other models differ in barrel length, sights, finish, or other options and each varient must be tested and approved.

Dean

·
Registered
370 Posts
the kalif exemptions are -- used guns (private party transfer), consignment guns, C&R guns, some single action pistols

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts