1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of Chip McCormick 8 rd mags. They are obviously shiney and bright. I want them dull and dark. Can you finish them with baking laquer or will it flake off or make the mags not slide in and out as easily.

Any advice would be great

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have never done SS mags, but have had good luck with Gun Kote of 1911, Makarov, and Star Mags.

I sandblast, parkerize, then gunkote, and have had no chipping or peeling.

In fact I am in the process of going over all my mags, polishing feed lips, installing Wolff xtra power springs, and a Metalform SS follower. As I do this, I Gunkote them in a SS finish to identify which ones are done.

By the way Gun Kote is slick, and make the drop from the gun smoother.

Hope this helps.

Byrd

·
Premium Member
16,620 Posts
I just did 22 magazines today with Brownell's baking lacquer in the 'Dark Parkerizing' color. I had been saving up mags to coat when the Mrs. was out of town, and today was the day. You see, when you bake them, the paint kind of stinks up the house and the oven, so either you need your own oven out in the garage or shop, or you have to use hers. Anyway, I have been coating mags with baking lacquer for years, and it's great to use. If you're concerned about the coating thickness, just put on a thin coat. I have also done a number of guns with it, and it is approximately as durable as Parkerizing (in all the colors).
Mags done today: 1 Hi-Power
7 Beretta
3 M1 Carbine (15)
3 AR-15 (20)
8 AR-15 (30)
I haven't done any .45 mags because my .45 is an old one with the blued mags and doesn't need any coatings. The AR mags were old surplus ones in great condition but worn finish. The Beretta and Hi-Power mags were aftermarket blued that I wanted the Parkerized look on. All you have to do is degrease the item to be painted. Probably bead-blasting would be better, but the mags come out nice and flat, looking brand new.
One thing to note: If you use Brownell's baking lacquer, be prepared to use up the 6 oz. spray can in one session. The paint has a lot of solids in it and the cans go bad if not used up after starting. I started with a new can today, and had enough left over to do a few more pistol mags, so use that as a guide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts