1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or butterfly knives if you prefer. By the time I was old enough to need a knife (I was about 3 1/2...months) they were illegal and one handed opening pocket knives offered basically the same thing. But aparently there are alot of people who consider them the uber-fighting-folder. My humble question is why :) Is it that theyre fast to open? Ive hear that the pivot is very strong.... Is it that you can have a double-edged blade?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same reason as most firearms on Kalifornia's "assualt weapon" list:
It looks scary. No other reason, it just looks scary, and therefor, must be bad.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I picked up a few of these in Olongapo back in the 70's and carried them off and on.

But that was long before you could get good US made blades with a thumb stud. Today's blades with one handed opening capability are a bit faster to deploy and much better steel than an original Bali-song.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I bought one as well to play with to see what all the hype was about. Once I got it and started to play with it, I lost interest in it and it sits in the safe now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a decent balisong that sits at my computer desk. It serves no purpose other than as a one-handed distraction when I'm watching a movie or something. I think it's fun and a little kitschy. Not to mention that I have fun pulling it out at random when friends are over and making their eyes bug out with fun little tricks.

Also, anyone noticed that most of these knives you can buy now feel flimsy, cheap, thin, light and poorly balanced?

·
Registered
384 Posts
..a one-handed distraction when I'm watching a movie or something...
Well, I guess that's better than some other "one handed distraction" you could employ...

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
“balisongs- what’s the big deal?”

You can’t make good law with your cheeks around your ears.

:eek:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My Benchmade Balisong is perfectly balanced and they don't come cheap. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Bear and Sons make some that look nice . I think they are kinda fun too and some day I will do my routine without gloves , but My Ka-Bars and Black Jacks are faster and they stay open .

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Balisongs have probably the strongest lock feature of any folder. They are reasonably quick to open. You can do flashy stuff with them, which mostly just involves holding one handle and swinging the other blade and handle around in a way to make it look like you are doing something more than that.

I was astounded when they were banned so widely. Another casualty of Hollywood. I suspect that if such ban legislation were tried today, the ability of the Internet to alert the citizenry of such doings would have stopped most of it from occurring, and balisongs would be around, and no big deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i love butterfly knives. I only got a couple cheap ones that were all pretty much under &30 bucks but they are good for practice and to show some neat little tricks to friends. Ill take my seal pup anyday tho they look so much more sinister.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine is a great knife and is balanced wonderfully. Says, "jaguar" on the blade. Never heard if 'em. Either way, nice knife.
i got a jaguar folder strong functional knive w/ a serrated blade but constantly needs an allen wrench to tighten. They are typically 440 stainless and handcrafted in china low qaulity in general, but they serve my needs.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Or butterfly knives if you prefer. By the time I was old enough to need a knife (I was about 3 1/2...months) they were illegal and one handed opening pocket knives offered basically the same thing. But aparently there are alot of people who consider them the uber-fighting-folder. My humble question is why :) Is it that theyre fast to open? Ive hear that the pivot is very strong.... Is it that you can have a double-edged blade?
Thanks,
Mark
Automatic knives are banned in Aus too. OTF and OTS cos they're super scary and most Australians are sheeple.

·
Registered
72 Posts
back in high school I was in the locker room and some kid took out a butterfly knife and starting flinging it around. He lost control and it flew into the wall and almost cut my foot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have quite a few high quality balisongs in my collection. I like them because there are many different styles/designs and there's a challenge to flipping them. For me, it's more or less entertainment. They gained a bad reputation in much the same way switchblades did, but they're no deadlier or faster than most other one handed knives of course. For EDC, I stick with a Spyderco Endura or similar.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have a 'theater-made' balisong my grandfather brought back from WWII. The blade appears to have been made from a file. Wickedly sharp.......

·
Banned
49 Posts
Butterfly knives are one of those things that everyone wants just because they are banned. Once you get one, you realize they are just toys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts