1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the WWII?

I just bought one...and I'm thinking ball ammo.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've fired everything under the sun now.

Israeli wadcutters, Hydra-shock, Cor-bon, ball.

It doesn't care and eats them all.

FWIW, I carry the Hydrashock premiums.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have any of you shot Wolff ammo through it? Is it reliable? How many misfires?

I like the idea of the WW2 model but without the flared ejection port, I don't want to shoot good brass through it...

I guess another question would be, does it ding the brass up pretty bad?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mine squashed the brass at first, but I was having a little problem with the extractor being overly tight. It was hanging on to the brass and causing intermittant failure to return to battery. When I loosened the extractor a little, both probs went away and it barely dings the brass now. I think that most folks will tell you that its pretty gentle on brass.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I put two boxes of Wolf through it as fast as I could load magazines and pull the trigger.

"Good brass" can be resized - the dents aren't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
wolf ammo

Disturbed, ive shot about 300 rounds of wolf throught my mil spec, no problems what so ever, but remember wolf ammo is steel cased not brass so dont but it to reload it, also its laquered to prevent rust. for cheap ammo its great...Waterbull

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, waterbull, that is exactly my point...

If the WW2 model dents brass so badly that you can't reload it, I want to shoot Wolff (cheap crap) through it. I have two Series 1 Kimbers that I would never shoot Wolff ammo through but the WW2 would be a "beater" so to speak and I want to shoot cheap crap through it if it beats the **** out of brass.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ball.

I don't think that HP makes a bit of difference in stopping ability in .45 ACP.

Everyone I've seen hit with ball ammo went down faster than one of Clinton's girlfriends.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fraser said:

Everyone I've seen hit with ball ammo went down faster than one of Clinton's girlfriends.
Ok...two questions:

1) Seen alot of people hit with the 'ol ball, have ya?:eek:
and
2)Have you been sneaking peeks at Clinton's girlfriends again?:biglaugh:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've seen a few and some of my friends have put away some others and were well satisfied with ball ammo.

Clinton's ex's come down to the Legion Post on the first Friday of each month. Special members only meeting.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i have a ruined AR15 barrel from the lacquered wolff ammo. it glazed the chamber and now the only thing it will fire is wolff ammo till i find a new barrel. im never using that stuff in a firearm again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've seen a few and some of my friends have put away some others and were well satisfied with ball ammo.
Can you be a little more specific? Where do you saw them?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'd go with ball ammo, because if I get the WWII Mil-Spec, I'd be getting it for the nostalgic value, which means ball. :D

Andy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Use whatever's reliable and makes you "feel good"

Most non-premium HPs don't always expand (in fact many don't expand much at all), so you'd really be getting ball performance out of them.

Premium HPs (Golden Sabre, HydraShok, SXT, Gold Dot, etc) were engineered to open at the lower velocities of a .45 ACP (I know Federal spent a LOT of money making the 230-gr. HydraShok work). But still they don't always open up.

The other expanding option might be Federal's EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) but I have no data on their availability or effectiveness.

Bottom line: HPs don't always feed in 1911s without modification. Those that do, don't always open up. So, if hollowpoints feed in your gun, worst case scenario is they don't open and you get the same performance as ball ammo. If they open up, they do big time damage.

Ball ammo never opens up, but the vast majority of 1911s will feed, fire and extract with no hiccups. And it does make a .452" hole, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Personally, my 1911s have fed 230-gr. HydraShoks and Golden Sabres well, but I have had failures with them (all failures to feed), maybe 3 or 4 out of 100. I've never had a problem with FMJ ammo in my Springers or Colt, 100% reliability with both brands of gun. So, that's what I carry. Either Federal American Eagle, or Winchester White Box or PMC, all seem equally high quality. That being said, the WWII is a fine weapon, so it's really going to be up to you and your comfort level. Of course for authenticity, you'd have to carry ball. :D

One last thing, I did have one 1911 that choked on ball. It was a full-size Llama. Would jam 2 or 3 times PER MAGAZINE with ball, and was a single shot with HPs. Didn't matter what magazines I used. Needless to say, it went on the chopping block real quick.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ummm, what, you think there's not 230 grain HP available?
-----------------------------
After receiving your reply I did a little search and you are right, they are available but extremely hard to find pre-loaded unless you get the high performance stuff, and a non-hand loader is not going to pay big money for a day just cutting paper. Most of the sporting good / gun shops in my area stock 185 JHP or 230 FMJ. Those are your only options.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts