1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can Forum members tell me about these military surplus pistols and Southern Ohio Gun, the dealer who has them for sale?The price seems reasonable and they are described as arsenal refinished. Are there any differences between these guns and the 1911s?

·
Banned
597 Posts
The Molina, at least the one I had, had no grip safety and a pivoting trigger instead of a sliding one like on a standard 1911. I didn't really know enough about guns when I owned it to get into tearing it apart, so I don't know about internal differences.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The Ballasters are pretty reliable pistols for the money, but very few parts will interchange with the 1911. I, too, would suggest a Sistema for a first 1911.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I, too, recommend the Sistema if you want a 1911, but the Molina's are fine shooters, too. The current crop from SOG are generally pretty nice.

I've found that mine were very clean on the exterior with a nice even re-arsenalled finish, but a detail strip showed a lot of dirt, crud, dust, etc. from sitting in storage for years. One of mine even had a cocoon of some sort in the magwell. After cleaning and a little polishing on the feedramp, they fed ball and JHP ammo reliably.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
They are good guns, especially for the price. Mine was more accurate than several 1911's I owned, a S&W 4506 and my Glock 30.

It had also seen a lot less wear than the Sistemas I bought. If you want something to shoot .45, it will do the job. Barrels and mags interchange with the 1911.

But if you are looking for a true 1911, keep looking. The Sistemas are OK if you get one that isn't clapped out. Most of them I have seen were pretty worn.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I am the odd one out. My Ballester-Molina (BM) is a very good pistol. It needed a new barrel, match bushing, and Novak sights to bring it up to speed. My BM also has Hakan grips. I have about $500 in it and it shoots as well or better than other $500 45acps. It is the one handgun I own that I just love to hold. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Molina 45ACP

Many thanks for all your input forum members. I already own a good old Giles Colt 70 series 45ACP that will drive tacks, but one cannot have too many firearms. Thanks Again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts