1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the range yesterday and my friend that runs the club brought me a piece of ballistic 1” glass/plexiglas he acquired from a renovated LE barracks. He plans to make a table top and asked me to shoot it to add some character...:)
The progression was 9mm 124 gr, 38 super 129 gr, 9mm hollow point, 40 self defense, 12 gauge #5. All shots were from 25 yards to be safe. After seeing how well the glass worked, i asked if i could shoot it with my 6.5 CM...inquiring minds need to know, right? 6.5 CM 140 ELD match went through like butter.
Pretty impressive. Heres a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm very inexperienced here. Would rifle calibers require 2" or more. Very interesting and nice to have fun friends!

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very inexperienced here. Would rifle calibers require 2" or more. Very interesting and nice to have fun friends!
I dont know and neither did anyone else there which is why i shot it. I’m guessing the renovation increased the thickness also...:)

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
For the most part, yes.

Some ballistic glass can even defeat a .50 cal round, but not multiple rounds of .50 in the same spot.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Was at the range yesterday and my friend that runs the club brought me a piece of ballistic 1” glass/plexiglas he acquired from a renovated LE barracks. He plans to make a table top and asked me to shoot it to add some character...:)
That sounds like a fun project! Thanks for posting the effects of the 6.5.

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like a fun project! Thanks for posting the effects of the 6.5.
It was one of those unplanned spontaneous things. But i thought id at least report the results. And of course, i went with just one rifle, no 45 or 357s, not that either would’ve gone through.

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
Nice report Plant', and informative...Excuse my ignorance, what is a 6.5 CM?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Nice report Plant', and informative...Excuse my ignorance, what is a 6.5 CM?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor

Began as a long range target cartridge. Great ballistic coefficients and is a soft shooter and not a barrel burner.

Hunting crowd is now getting into it bigtime, too.

Most rifle manufacturers are chambering it now.

For the average hunter....I don't really see the appeal, but some folks use any excuse to buy a new rifle.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Rifle rounds are scary. That same glass tops out against serious handgun stuff like .454 but anything smaller will not work unless you shoot the same place a few times

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Rifle rounds are scary. That same glass tops out against serious handgun stuff like .454 but anything smaller will not work unless you shoot the same place a few times
It was so unscripted, I’m sorry I didn’t get more pics and / or video. Had we known, between myself and a shooting buddy, we could’ve thrown a better variety at it. Non of us had an AR...:(. Im curious if 5.56 would go through, it goes thru 3/8 non ar500 steel like butter.

How often does anyone get to test the real life ballistic glass/plexiglass?...not often im guessing.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor

Began as a long range target cartridge. Great ballistic coefficients and is a soft shooter and not a barrel burner.

Hunting crowd is now getting into it bigtime, too.

Most rifle manufacturers are chambering it now.

For the average hunter....I don't really see the appeal, but some folks use any excuse to buy a new rifle.
My interest in 6.5 started with the Swedish round but I have yet to find one of the old Mauser rifles that hasn't been molested or is in the right price range.

I didn't need a new rifle but I had a nice scope that needed somewhere to go and the CM is growing on me. It doesn't recoil with the enthusiasm of an '06 and I seem to be spending more time with it at the range which will make me a better shot and the round makes enough energy to be effective on most North American game.

I don't know if it is modern rifle manufacturing or the effort that Hornady is putting into their ammo or some of both but I know that when I built some handloads for my son's Ruger rifle in .308 the groups were half the size of factory ammo with the first try, right at 1 MOA. The first time I took the 6.5CM to the range with a box of factory ammo I shot a half MOA group and have yet to better that with handloads...

it is a bit uncanny how very good it is.

Seems to work good on ballistic Glass too!

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if it is modern rifle manufacturing or the effort that Hornady is putting into their ammo or some of both but I know that when I built some handloads for my son's Ruger rifle in .308 the groups were half the size of factory ammo with the first try, right at 1 MOA. The first time I took the 6.5CM to the range with a box of factory ammo I shot a half MOA group and have yet to better that with handloads...

it is a bit uncanny how very good it is.

Seems to work good on ballistic Glass too!
I agree with you. Last time out with my tikka t3x tac a1 I only shot 1 of the 3 boxes of ammo 140 ELD match because it was dare I say too easy at 100 and 200 yards. (The limit where i shoot).

Of course our spontaneous science experiment made for some other impressive information to share...:)...:biglaugh:

·
Registered
7,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Note Boxey was shooting smokeless, but loaded at Trapdoor velocity. The Army replaced the 405 grain bullet with a 500 grain one after the Sandy Hook trials in 1879.

It makes me wonder what a ball from a Brown Bess would do against some of that fancy window material. The .69 caliber ball also weighed 500 grains, and it stroked along at 1800 feet per second vs. less than 1400 for the .45-70-500.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Note Boxey was shooting smokeless, but loaded at Trapdoor velocity. The Army replaced the 405 grain bullet with a 500 grain one after the Sandy Hook trials in 1879.

It makes me wonder what a ball from a Brown Bess would do against some of that fancy window material. The .69 caliber ball also weighed 500 grains, and it stroked along at 1800 feet per second vs. less than 1400 for the .45-70-500.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Underwriters Laboratories rates bullet-resistant qualities of glass, assigning ratings ranging from UL-1 to UL-8. As one might guess, UL-1 doesn't offer much protection, whereas UL-8 will stop some pretty heavy rounds.

All bets are off though when dangerous African game cartridges, .50 caliber rounds, etc., enter the picture. 6.5 Creedmore at close range is quite impactful...I'd expect it to go through almost all glass rated as bullet resistant. Not absolutely all, but most.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts