1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before this weekend, I had never experimented with many different kinds of bullets for [primarily] deer hunting. I sighted my rifle in when I got it with Win supreme 150gr powerpoint plus (in my A-bolt '06), and have used them since. They have always done the job for me. I believe shot placement is the key, rahter than how much tissue damage you can do (at least for whitetails).

Well, to get to the point, the store was out of my regular, and I was in a pinch, so I got some 150gr Win supreme ballistic silvertips. Went hunting yesterday evening, and shot a doe. I paced it off to 135 yds, and when I got to her, I really was amazed at what this bullet did.

She was quartering to me with her head down, when I put the shot at the base of her neck between the shoulders. The entrance wound was normal, but let me tell you...her spine, left shoulder and organ tissue was absolutely obliterated. I ended up losing parts of both backstraps, and about 60% of that shoulder.

All this got me to thinking:
1. I don't know that I will use these rounds again unless it's late in the season, and I'm hunting for that trophy (too much damge to the meat)

2. If provided with a classic broad-side, behind the shoulder shot, how much more damage would I see to the meat

3. How would these bullets compare with the performance of the fail safe bullet, and

4. What are y'alls experiences with these and different rounds?

p.s. The bullet passed through, so I could not recover it to examine the nature and extent of expansion/weight retention.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I had a similar experience with 130 grain ballistic tips out of my .270 Winchester. I shot a 7 pointer broadside, through the chest at about 80 yards. Bullet hit a rib on entrance, and it made a serious mess.

I found half the plastic tip embedded in the rib piece on the other side of the deer. The hunk of rib had blown a 3 inch hole through the opposite side ribs, but it all stayed in the pelt.

The lead core separated from the copper base. The lead piece tore up backstarp on opposite side. The copper base turned left and demolished the entrails before lodging in opposite rear leg.

It was a stinky mess to field dress, and I had a lot of damaged, blood sht meat. Yuck.

Now I use partitions and fail-safes.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I usually just use regular old silvertips or corelokts, since they do the job and are cheap. The only fairly explosive buller I use is the sierra 85 gr bthp out of my handloads for my 243. But if you hit them right in a broadside shot, its not going to generally do damage to anything you'd use anyway. I did put one down that had been wounded by someone else a couple years ago though that had alot of damage since I had to shoot it several times running. In those sort of circumstances they can do some unwanted damage (two were through the chest fairly broadside and were fine, but the last was angling away and raked up through and just did tons of damage).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I know about fail safes is the standard description of what they do. I don't have any experience with them and have never seen first hand what they do. How would it compare to the powerpoint, if you've used those?

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Arent the powerpoint rounds for law enforcement type purposes?

Edited to add: What I mean to say is, arent they designed to cause ugly wounds, not necessarily harvest animals cleanly?

·
Registered
334 Posts
This seems to be a common reaction to the ballistic silvertips from what I've read. No matter the caliber or weight, they literally explode and do a lot of damage to everything. Not the best if you're looking to feed the family as they seems to damage a lot of meat.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mus, I'm not sure what the selling points of the powerpoints are, but up until yesterday, all the deer I had taken were with pp's, I never saw real bad damage unless I hit a shoulder square or something like that. And even then, it was minmal compared to what I saw the ballistic tips do. I mean, WOW!!!

Yeah, like I say, I probably wouldn't recommend them for meat hunters, unless they are really really hungry...;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really wish now I had taken a pic of the wound, but it's already at the processor. Maybe I'll shoot the next one with another and post it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The ballistic tips are a good round. For one.....they are VERY accurate. Two.....a 150gr .30 cal bullet will blow harder than a .284/7mm 150gr due to sectional density. This is not due to bullet design, but has a lot to do with other factors such as bullet speed, caliber and where you hit the deer. Earlier ballistic tips were also of a thinner jacket so if you have some old ones they grenade.

Currently, I use 140gr ballistic tips in my 7mm STW. AT 50 yards and 3400 (!) feet per smokin' second they have gone through deer with only a quarter sized exit hole.

Many solid copper bullets or Fail Safes will petal back minimally and 99.9% travel through, but if you want a really fast kill you will use lead based with a copper jacket. On occasion, you will get one to blow. If you don't want that risk, use bonded or solids.

I use 160 gr partitions to hunt elk. Normally they pass right through.

Here is a 160gr/7mm partition ENTRANCE (please note: ENTRANCE) hole on a doe I shot this year. ONE experience does NOT a bullet make.

Try it in YOUR gun. It's the only way.

P.S. I found no exit hole. The Partition grenaded!!

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Tried to send you a pm Forstr your box is full.

Anyways, I meant to say ballistic tip earlier. The powerpoint is just a Jacketed Soft Point AFAIK.

I think certain ballistic tipped bullets have very thin jackets and because of that are good for dangerous game/human killing. I dont know if that is the case with the Winchester ballistic silvertip or not (but from the wound you described it kinda sounds like it).

I know Dr. Roberts on Tactical Forums recommends certain ballistic tipped bullets for HD in .308 rifles (150 gr Nosler ballistic tips is one of them).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Combined Technology Silvertips are a Nosler Ballistic Tips with a Winchester black coating. They have a polymer tip.

Winchester "Silvertips" are a different design.

Which are we talking about here?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mus, the PM box is cleared. ANd yes, those are the rounds I was talking about.

I do like the fact that these ahve a tip that will not deform. I imagine that is part of the reason they are [purported to be] more accurate. I can't say definitively, because I haven't shot them that much.

What I'll probably do is continue hunting with them, and make a more educated evaluation at the end of the season. As someone said earlier, you can't judge the round from one instance (good or bad).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts