1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if the software is broken of if I have done something wrong. Does this forum block all AOL users?

Thanks,
Sid

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
With your aol account, you get a differnet IP number everytime you connect with their dial-up. Unfortunately, a troublesome member that has been banned several times also uses AOL. Sadly, your IP number(s) are very similiar to his and got caught in the ban. You should be ok now.

Email if you you're still having problems.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Son,
Thank you very much for the E-mail. Unfortunately some troublesome members cause this problem, for everyone else to use the forum. So how do I prevent this in the future. Thanks
VC

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Originally posted by VC:
So how do I prevent this in the future. Thanks
VC
Change to a different ISP

Unfortunately, with AOL as your ISP, there's not much we can do about it. Just shoot me an email if this happens again.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sorry Son....AOL is not the only Isp with dynamic addressing....Many of the baby bells that serv people with DSL use dynamic addressing....Also...I know many people that use more than one ISP.

While I understand the banning of a troublem maker, I don't know if there is an easy solution...especially in highly populated areas.

just my 2 bucks...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
One method that might be considered is to not do blocking by IP, but rather by requiring REAL email addresses.

Some of the "Problem Children" have used "Hotmail" accounts for example, and by not permitting a Hotmail account to register could force people to use the account provided by their ISP.

This doesn't help in some cases, where a member may not have a REAL address, like Joe College student using the univeristies systems, and not having a personal ISP.

Of course, IIRC, AOL allow users to register MULTIPLE screen names for no additional cost, and those screen names are basically email addresses, so it may not be a practical solution.

Maybe we can simply send a script that blows up the system of the banned "Adolecent" when their "Termination Letter" gets sent

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thats funny Jaydee...but...you have to be careful...some of those script puppies...have stronger scripts.

ps...I understand the not using AOL-oser...The only reason I continue (with just bring your own access) is that It has had my established email for over 5 years now...which I also use for my business...They piss me off too...The sad thing is that I pay for a dsl Isp at home and at work that also supply me with an email address...But...I have very many people that know my current one...and it would be a major pain to get them all the new address....+ it is on my business cards and in the yellow pages.

I know...excuses,excuses.... ;( maybe someday I will get brave and move into the new frontier.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts