1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a stripped AR receiver.

My options are a CMMG, Charles Daly, or Double Star. To be honest I have ZERO experience with any of these brands.

Can anyone offer an advice based on their own experience with these brands.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Any of them will be good. I have 2 Double Star lowers and they are comparable to my Bushmaster and DPMS lowers. They have a nice even finish and the machining is good. There are relatively few AR lower manufacturers (5-6 major companies maybe?), everyone just stamps their name on the side.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
also you can't go wrong with Armalite, Rock river or Stag.
i'll be getting an Armalite complete flattop upper for my Colt ar15 carbine.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Here is a list of manufacturers and who they build for.

LMT = LMT, Lauer(old), DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knights Armament, Barrett, Bushmaster (?)
CMT = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske, Century (current), Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI, Wilson Tactical, (some?) Colt, Ratworx
LAR = Grizzly, Bushmaster (L Prefix), Ameetech, (?)DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton
JVP = Double Star, LRB
MMS = Mega, GSE, Dalphon, POF (forged), Alexander Arms,
Olympic = Olypmic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, (old) Century
So the real question is what do you want stamped on the side :)

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
don't forget Superior Arms! out of those 3 choices I would take any but the Charles Daly, I'm just not that impressed with any CD guns I've seen.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyones input. The brands I listed are the ONLY choices I have, otherwise I would go with DPMS, I have a good source for uppers, or Bushmaster, I already own one.

dcsans, I sort of figured there were only so many actual manufactures out there. Its very common for one major company to make and stamp stuff for others, just look at Caspian.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I doubt you will have any problems out of any of those. Unless the holes are drilled wrong. It's hard to screw up a stripped lower receiver.

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Double Star here - not that I'm hugely experienced with AR15 builds, but mine is flawless and it went together perfectly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
don't forget Superior Arms! out of those 3 choices I would take any but the Charles Daly, I'm just not that impressed with any CD guns I've seen.
Its a stripped lower, how could they possibly mess that up? I have one and has a much better finish than my mega lower.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I would take any but the Charles Daly, I'm just not that impressed with any CD guns I've seen.
CDs ARs are top notch... really. CDs M4LE is on par with Colt, several very good reviews on M4 Carbine.net.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
CDs ARs are top notch... really. CDs M4LE is on par with Colt, several very good reviews on M4 Carbine.net.

I'll keep my eyes open for one. hopefully it's better than the Daly 1911 I saw at one of the pawn shops here recently, didn't look TOO bad but the tag said $295 no returns - doesn't sound good. I haven't seen one of their AR's yet, but I'll check one out if I see one.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
CD AR's have a good reputation and score pretty well on the chart. But they are almost impossible to find from what I have read. Bud's had a couple a month or so ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recently finished a build with a CMMG lower. The finish is very nice. The magazine well is noticeably tighter than my Stag lower, but otherwise, no complaints.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
has anyone tried one of those CNC machined AR receivers that Centerfire systems has for $79.95 now? the price on those is down so low I'm tempted to get one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a chance to buy a stripped AR receiver.

My options are a CMMG, Charles Daly, or Double Star. To be honest I have ZERO experience with any of these brands.

Can anyone offer an advice based on their own experience with these brands.

Thanks
Doublestar. Your LPK will fit perfectly, and great customer service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts