1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been addressed before. I purchased my NRM Series 80 Commander SS last week. I noticed that the barrel bushing has a small gap about the thickness of a fingernail were it covers the spring. I dont know how hard the bushing is supposed to come out when you field strip it but when I did it, it came out quite easily. Pushed down on the spring and turned it by hand. It seems to lock in snug but the gap where it covers the spring has me wondering as well as how easy it is to turn and take out the spring. Should I be worried?

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
Bronc.....

A standard Colt bushing can easily be rotated by hand, just like the military Colts. Not really sure where your fingernail gap is...just above the plug or between the bushing and the slide?

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at the side of the slide. The bushing has a small gap between the slide and bushing where the plug is pushing it out at an angle from the bottom. This gap is about the thickness of a fingernail.

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
Usually, that happens when the bushing is fit too loose in the slide. I have seen some new rollmark Colts that have bushings that are loose enough to allow forward and backward movement of the bushing when the pistol is assembled. Take your pistol apart and reinsert the bushing without the barrel and spring and see how much forward and aft bushing movement is present. When re-assembled there should be a nice flush fit with no gap. I'd call Colt and have them send you a new bushing and be prepared to send the old one back to Colt to check.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I took the barrel and spring out and reinstalled the bushing. End play is about the thickness of a fingernail all the way around the bushing. (sorry I dont have my feeler gauges with me).

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
I'm still scratching my head over this bushing looseness everyone is talking about. Almost all my 1911's, even early ones have a bushing loose enough that I can move it slightly front to back. Only the couple that I have with match bushings are too tight to move.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my first 1911.. so I didnt know if this is critical and needs to be looked at or not. This gun is unfired. I have yet to find the time to get out and put some through it. However, dsk, its kind of good to know that I am not the only one who has this problem.

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
dsk said:
I'm still scratching my head over this bushing looseness everyone is talking about. Almost all my 1911's, even early ones have a bushing loose enough that I can move it slightly front to back. Only the couple that I have with match bushings are too tight to move.
Dsk....I ran across a NRM Gov't the other day. And yes, the bushing seemed looser than other Gov'ts that I've looked at. In the long run it's probably a non-issue. My other Colts just don't exhibit the forward and aft movement of the one NRM I checked out.

Regards,
Sam

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
Bronc said:
This is my first 1911.. so I didnt know if this is critical and needs to be looked at or not. This gun is unfired. I have yet to find the time to get out and put some through it. However, dsk, its kind of good to know that I am not the only one who has this problem.
I don't really think it's a problem or critical as much as it is "different" than what I'm used to with my other Colts. The gun will still work.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the same problem, different models

Bronc said:
If you look at the side of the slide. The bushing has a small gap between the slide and bushing where the plug is pushing it out at an angle from the bottom. This gap is about the thickness of a fingernail.
I have exactly the same problem, only maybe a little more pronounced on a Combat Commander XSE, Model O4012XSE, and a Lightweight Commander XSE, Model O4860XSE. Vintage is November '02 and July '02, respectively. Also, they both have that silly gap between the rear edge of the three-hole Videcki style trigger and the radiused part of the frame's trigger slot.

The bushings on both of my commanders are incredibly sloppy regarding front to back fit to the slide and also in the fit to the slide's bushing locking groove (bad OD fit?). I am going to post another thread asking my fellow Colt owners for suggestions on what "Drop-In" barrrel bushing to use to replace these "dull stainless" or bead blasted stainless bushings that Colt used at the factory. I'll probably get around to sending these two "loose" factory barrel bushings back to Colt some day.

FWIW, I've not seen barrel bushings this loose on a brand new production Colt before, but these are my first two NIB current production Commanders. And yes, the dealer ordered both of these pistols for me so I basically bought them sight unseen. Big mistake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To cure my barrel bushing problem, I installed an Evolution Gun Works thick flange bushing which had to be fitted. Polished stainless and the thicker flange looks real good. http://www.egw-guns.com/egw.htm

To be honest, I was a little dissapointed on the problems that this pistol had straight from the box.

Extractor out of spec
Barrel bushing very sloppy
Had to refit lower barrel feet for Proper lock up ( slide hung over the frame in the back) and crown barrel. I did alot of other modifications while I was at it but these were some of the problems that we ran into.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts