1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your BARREL cleaning routine is for guns?
www.schuemann.com Mr. Schuemann has some "interesting" comments on barrel cleaning. Especially the one where he says NOT to ?!?!?!

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 04-09-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by traevin:
Now that I have discovered the bore snake, it just got a lot faster and easier
Better check with Mr. Schuemann, he may have a problem with you putting reptiles down the bore, as well

B

·
0 Posts
I use MPro 7 exclusively for my bores. I like the bore cleaning gel as it's thicker and I soak the brush with it then push it through the bore twice to coat it. I then start on the frame and slide to give the gel some time to eat the fouling away.

After 10-15 minutes I dip the brush in the gel again and then brush the bore around 20-30 times. Jag and patch to remove the black stuff then a patch soaked in MPRO 7 and another dry patch to remove most of the residue. I usually repeat 2-3 times but the dwell time for the solvent is only 5 minutes or so for the later passes as most is gone by then. After dry patches come out white I use the MPRo 7 oil on a patch to run through the bore and then a dry patch to remove the excess.

Sometimes after a heavy session I follow old Military advice to clean the bore for the next two days.

·
Registered
88 Posts
After using Shooters Choice for a couple years I tried MPro 7 bore cleaner and I love it. I use the same procedure as BK-BHP 1911 uses above and Im convienced it works just as well as Shooters Choice. Without the the stinky smell my wife used to scream at me about. Sometimes I wonder if this stuff saved me from divorce.

I always run a patch of Break Free CLP down the bore when Im done. Then a couple dry patches after that and Im set to go.

Every 2000 rounds or so I go out to the garage and use Sweets 7.62 solvent to get the copper streaks out. Followed by Break Free CLP.

PARANATOR...

[This message has been edited by Paranator (edited 03-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I use Remington bore cleaner. Now I shoot exclusively lead bullets in my 1911, this stuff works perfectly. There's no lead left behind and it leaves a very shiny bore (like mirror.) I first used it on my Rem rifle and saw the same result, so I decided to try it on my handgun. I'm very pleased

BTW, I got it from Wally world, about $6 for 4 oz. squeeze bottle.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I avoid brass brushes if I can help it. My routine usually consists of running a few wet patches of Sweets 7.62 followed by dry patches to remove some of the fouling. Then I run my Outers Foul Out unit to remove lead/copper fouling. Afterwards, a few wet patches of Shooters Choice. This gets my barrel sparkling clean without using a brush.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is what I do, it's NOT A RECOMMENDATION!! I shoot cast lead SWC's. Just before I wrap up a range session I'll fire about six jacketed H.P's threw it. This is something we did when the .357mag was THE gun. Nothing leads up like the .357mag. We were VERY mindful that you NEVER do this in the reverse order!!!! Talk about fouling!!! Anyway, running a few jacketed rounds after shooting lead all day does "shoot out" most of the lead fouling. Standard cleaning technique follows. Run tight patches soaked with Hoppes #9, let dwell for 20-25 min, dry patch, inspect, repeat if needed. I 'MIGHT' make 2-3 passes with the brush, but VERY RARELY. Work's for me.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
lodraw

When I think of it, I do the same thing. Usually I don't think of it though.

I'm still undecided on a bore cleaner though. I've been using CR-10, Shooter's Choice, RBC, Hoppes Benchrest, and anything else in my box without finding a clear winner yet. Wit's post did remind me I have some Remington bore cleaner I haven't tried yet.

Typically I've used Hoppes Benchrest as a general bore cleaner, choosing CR-10 if things looked nasty.

I've been using some old RBC I found in a box, and have no complaints about it.

Severe leading is just an elbow grease proposition anyway IMHO, unless the foul out device is used (there are days I'd kill for one of these things).

I use Pro Shot Zero Friction as a lube.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a look at http://www.schuemann.com . He offers some "interesting" views on barrel cleaning. Check out his last suggestion, where he says NOT to clean barrels - they will clean themselves !!!????

Sounds like Mr. Schuemann is trying to drum up some barrel business? I think I'll keep cleaning mine in the meantime.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 03-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 03-19-2001).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use those caliber specific jags with the spear tip. They push the patch against the barrel as a slotted jag just can't do. I start with Hoppes yellow label to clear out the crud, followed by dry patches. I sometimes follow up with Sweets 7.62 copper solvent (follow instructions on soak time), which really gets the copper out fast. I don't use Sweets everytime, but there's no harm if you do. It's just not important for me to get every trace of copper at every cleaning. Once in a while I'll also use JB Bore Paste on any particularly stubborn fouling

Byron

·
Registered
88 Posts
Shane,

Wow that article was interesting. I have talked to a couple of guys who swear up and down that they only use Break Free CLP or some other type of oil with nylon brushes and cotton patches to clean there bores. They say never to use any type of solvent.

I guess Im pre programmed or something but I always scrub the crap out of my stuff.

Maybe it would be worth trying what I mentioned above on my Glock. I only use jacketed stuff in it. I can't imagine the above cleaning would work if your using LEAD.

Oh well if anyones tried it tell us your results.

PARANATOR...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You can find the original conversations about Shuemanns' barrel cleaning opinions in the archives from a couple months ago..It stirs up some interest...Personally, I couldn't give up 40 years of habits that easy...Almost as bad as askin' someone to quit smokin'...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I also find Schumann's article to be very interesting. Spoke with him briefly when I ordered one of his advanced technology barrels. He makes them in both the traditional style and the newer ramped style. Recently I noticed that Tetra's bore cleaner (especially for copper fouling) was eating away my brass jag! My main question as a "lay" person, is...At what point is a barrel clean? After a few passes with CLP and a cleaning jag, the grit and obvious fouling is gone, but there are always faint streaks of carbon, usually near the rifling. Sometimes those babies never come out all the way. So, as far as the metal is concerned, are those faint carbon tracks going to affect accuracy or accellerate bore wear? I wonder.
Thanks,
Sparks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I don't have a 1911 yet, but I've always used Hoppes #9 on my Ruger 22/45 (right now, the grip frame on that pistol is the closest I'll get to OWNING a 1911
). I always use the solvent on the bore, internals, and bolt, followed by a dry off, then the Hoppes #9 lubricant. Thinking of trying BreakFree or Tetra on the rest of the pistol, but for right now, I'll stick with #9.

------------------
Blackjack
---------21----»

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilence"
-Thomas Jefferson

"I'd rather take matters into my own hands if someone were to break into my home, steal my possessions, violate and possibly murder my wife, and try to end my life as well. In short, don't enter my house unannounced. You might leave on a stretcher."
-Blackjack_21

·
Registered
625 Posts
I recently had a gunsmith tell me that using Flitz polish in the bore works extremely well. He said it cleans the bore while filling in the pores of the barrel. He claims it will make cleaning easier down the road and will increase bullet velocity....You be the judge of that one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
anyone use a lead-clean gun cloth? I just got one on recommedation. It can't be used on blued or case hardend surfaces, so for the most part you use it on stainless steel parts. I'll try it for the first time this weekend after range time. Will post info on it if it moves me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where did you get this stuff and what brand name if you don't mind me asking?

------------------
45ACP
big lead hurts worse

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's made by Pro-shot Products, out of Taylorville, Il. They also make Silicone cloth, it works great. I saw a guy using the lead cloth and asked about it. He was a big time shooter, so I figured I would try the $4 cloth. I'll let you know if it works for me. A friend got one as well so he'll have something to say(he's a lawyer)

·
Registered
370 Posts
ive heard that you should ONLY use the lead free cloth when there is lead in the barrel, too much use can be hard on the barrel

i dont see any other use for it except HEAVY lead deposits in the barrel, and even light lead can be removed with JB bore paste -- even use that Rarely and Sparingly

1 - 20 of 27 Posts