1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to scrub back-and-forth with the brass bore-cleaning brush? I know that you should only scrub from the breech end towards the muzzle, but I mean pushing and pulling the rod. Someone told me that it should only be pushed through, not pulled back, because the bristles are angled for one direction only. I can certainly feel a difference in resistance that indicates this is true, like petting a cat's fur the wrong way when you pull the rod back. However, the "pull" seems to clean out the crud better and you have to unscrew the brush on every stroke if you only push. Seems to me that the softer brass shouldn't harm the steel of the barrel even going "backwards" but I don't want to damage the gun.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Back and forth with a brass brush shouldn't hurt anything on a carry pistol. I agree to a point that breech to muzzle cleaning should be done with match grade/target barrels. It is the muzzle crown that has a lot of effect on accuracy, and the crown should be as perfect as possible. I really doubt that any accuracy will be sacrificed on a pistol by cleaning with the back to forward motion. On quarter minute of angle benchrest quality rifles, there MAY be reason not too. I can't think of any reasons not to for a pistol, unless you're going to Camp Perry.

Other opinions????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Back and forth motion with the brush should be okay. I think, when they say don't pull the brush back, is while it's still in the barrel. Push it all the way through and then pull it back. Don't reverse the direction when you are in the middle of the barrel.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? I would think that pulling it back into the barrel after exiting the muzzle would be a mistake, since this would pull the bristles against their natural direction as they re-enter the muzzle; and the muzzle is the most delicate part of the entire barrel. Scratches or other damage to the muzzle can allow the escaping gases to push the bullet unevenly as it exits the barrel, damaging accuracy irreparably. Opinions?

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
We fire a copper jacketed bullet out the muzzle at 900 fps without damage. As long as the rod does not contact the muzzle, how can a brass brush at 10 fps hurt the muzzle?

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by EdGCNM:
Really? I would think that pulling it back into the barrel after exiting the muzzle would be a mistake, since this would pull the bristles against their natural direction as they re-enter the muzzle; and the muzzle is the most delicate part of the entire barrel. Scratches or other damage to the muzzle can allow the escaping gases to push the bullet unevenly as it exits the barrel, damaging accuracy irreparably. Opinions?
The bristles have no natural direction. They are straight up and down. Brass will not scratch steel. You will not harm the crown of the muzzle unless you ding it with the cleaning rod itself (that's why it pays to buy a good nylon coated rod...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts