1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know that I shouldn't use a metal brush in my barrel, but how about a nylon brush. Ya know, like the ones that come in the Hoppes cleaning kits.

With Hopppes #9 I noticed that there was still some "material" left behind beside the raised portions of the rifling even with repeated patchs running through wet with hoppes and then dry until they came through clean.

I then picked up some hoppes bench rest copper remover. Same thing, there is still stuff in the barrel. The rest of the barrel looks really clean, just a bit of crud next to the rifling.

Is this normal? Does this come off? Should I use my nylon brush to scrub it?

What do you do, if it works, to get that crud out?

Is it bad to stay?

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I do not believe that a brass or bronze brush could hurt your bore. These metals are softer than steel.

1) If you shoot lead bullets:
Before you leave the range, shoot two magazines (14 rounds) of full metal jacket or jacketed hollow point ammo.(a good opportunity to rotate your carry ammo.)
These jacketed rounds should be the last rounds that you fire for the day.
This gets much of the lead out.

2) Pass a patch soaked with Hoppes through the bore a few times. Use a brass or plastic jag tip. This tip will force the patches tightly against the bore.
Run dry patches through with the jag tip until the patches start to get cleaner.

3) Screw the brass or bronze brush onto the cleaning rod. Submerge the entire brush in Hoppes, and let the extra Hoppes drip off the brush.

4) Run the wet brush through and back (from the breech end) 10-12 times.

5) Dry with patches using the jag tip.

6) Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 as required.

7) Apply a thin coat of Breakfree CLP to the bore with a soaked patch and the jag tip. Just before your next range session, run a clean patch through the bore to absorb any extra Breakfree that may remain.

I recommend cleaning your gun outside where your neighbors or passers-by cannot see you or in your garage or workshop (well ventilated.) Use latex gloves to protect your hands, and safety glasses to protect your eyes. Cover your work area with newspapers.
Wear coveralls or clothes that you do not care about, and then take a shower and change your clothes when you are finished.

I clean my gun at least every 200 rounds. this makes the cleaning easier.

Good luck!

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I due a quick swab of my barrel with a bronze brush a few times, wipe it out, and then drop it in the Hoppes while I clean the rest of the gun. I take it out, let the excess drip back in the Hoppes, then brush the inside 50 or 60 times, wipe it out again, spray some lube oil down the bore, one final quick wipe and my barrel usually looks as good as new on the inside. Something happens that is magical between the soaking and the 50 or 60 bore brushings. Rarely do I need any sort of repeat after that.

I have tried some various solvents for the bore and what they all seem to come down to is some good old elbow grease with whatever bore magic solvent you use. I just happen to like the smell of Hoppes the best.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i always use a brass brush in ALL my guns, just DONT use stainless steel brushs, these are very hard on barrels and should only be used with extreme fouling and rust and corrosion.

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts