1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips or tricks for crowning a barrel? George Smith of EGW was going to cut my cone comp for me and crown the barrel but I decided to try it myself and rely on him to bail me out if I flubbed. It came out pretty good but I want to thin out the remaining metal a little further which means I will contact the barrel.

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

·
Registered
713 Posts
Shane,
If you have a crowning tool, take the barrel out of the gun, fix it in a vise, put some cutting oil on the barrel and tool, and slowly rotate the tool till you get to the rifling. Get a crowning tool that has a guide to go in the barrel. That will keep the crown symmetrical which is the important principle here. Theoretically, as I understand it, the symmetry of the cut allows for uniform release of gasses which allows the bullet to exit the barrel spinning uniformly. That would be like a well thrown football and not like one whose nose wobbles and shimmies circularly as it goes downfield...makes for a more accurate "throw!" Try to not get any chatter marks and "keep your bevel smooth."

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CRAP! The stupid tools from Brownells are more than what the whole job was gonna cost from George!!! GEEEOOOORRRGGGE HEEEEEELP

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hey there Hotshot(LOL),
You didn't ask me what it would cost , you just asked for some "tips" on crowning a barrel: rolleyes ...Hahahahaha...

Later Shane- Barry

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help Barry! Much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts