1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've fit the hood of my Kart barrel. I have been reading Sweeney's book on on gunsmithing pistols and revolvers, and I have a ?. Would I fit the lower lugs next or the upper lugs next? This is the firs time that I have done a g-smith fit barrel. It kind of makes sense to me to fit the lower lugs next, because if I fit the upper upper lugs next, wouldn't I possibly lose some of my engagement in the radial lugs? Confused.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Upper lugs are next, you need a barrel centering block and a loose bushing and you need to make sure you get at least .05 upper lug engagement.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mac21: You will fit the bottom lugs after you have taken care of the hood and the upper lugs. DO NOT fit the bottom lugs first.

·
Registered
641 Posts
In fitting a gunsmith barrel always fit the upper lugs before fitting the lower lugs. I fit the upper lugs until I get centered firing pin strike. I fill a unprimed piece of brass's primer pocket with modeling clay and when linked up insert a firing pin to see where the firing pin strike is. I adjust the barrels upper lugs with file until I get centered strikes, next cut lower lugs.
http://blindhogg.com/gunsmith/barrel.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts