1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - when you guys pull a shiney, new gunsmith-fit barrel out and get ready to install it, do you (1) start by cutting the lower lugs just enough to allow a stock Colt link to work, then fit the hood and then go back to the lower lugs, or (2) start right in on fitting the hood? Am talking about full, gunsmith-fit barrels, not the Kart EZ.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, kevins. Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is that some folks seem to start with the hood, while others I've read about start by cutting the lower lugs to a stock-length link, and then working on the hood and then get the final fit by smokin' up the upper radial lugs and then reducing them until they get lockup - sorta like fittin' a Kart EZ fit, just without the barrel pads.

I have so much more to learn. Seems like anything I've tried to learn in my life went along a sorta bell curve. I know I'm still on the upward part when everything I learn shows me several other things I didn't even know were issues. At some point past the top of the curve, I'll have all the basics down, and then be working with incorporating the basics with each other.

I am still on the upward march!

Best,
Jon

·
Banned
672 Posts
Jon, here's a quick overview of my process without too much needless detail:

1. Bushing to slide, and bushing to barrel
2. Mill hood width
3. Mill hood length
4. Upper radial lugs for vertical engagement
5. Mill lower lugs
6. Select proper length link and ensure clearance.

I use a combination of the EGW fixture and the Weigand fixture on the mill. It might take some of the old-world, hand-filed mystique out of it but Accuracy trumps Sentiment. At least that's what I'm told. :biglaugh:

Regards,
Dave

·
Banned
672 Posts
Jon, I'd post a few pics of that BT milling fixture here, but it's...umm...umm...not OSHA approved. If something were to slip, I'd only be able to count to 9.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only 9? Have you no toes? Works for us here in Alabama . . . let's most of us count all the way up to 20 (and some even to 24!)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Next time I am in the shop I will demonstrate the joke on how a one armed man counts his change.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I start using a junk slightly oversized barrel bushing.

1. Fit width of barrel hood
2. Fit length of barrel hood
3. Fit upper lugs so primer hits center of firing pin.
4. Cut lower lugs with manual lug cutter.
Your dun
Go shooter

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting stuff, guys. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've read quite a bit in my continuing efforts to get better at building these pistols we all love so much. The most recent topics of brain activity concern barrel fitting. Am going to keep rolling them around in my head.

Hogg, I sure do enjoy yhour website. Lots of extremely useful info there for us rookie's. Taking this opportunity to say thanks.

Best,
Jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts