1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 500 rounds through my SA Loaded, I have noticed some copper-colored marks in the barrel. Is this some sort of copper fouling?

I have only used a mix of Winchester White Box and S&B in 230gr FMJ so far. No lead or plated bullets. I've used a brass brush and some Hoppe's #9 but it doesn't want to come out.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove this or is this not really a problem?

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
If you want to get it out, about any bore cleaner designed for copper removal should work fine. IMO, the best for pure copper removal, when used properly, is Sweets 7.62.

RR

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sweets is definately the most aggressive. It does, however, contain ammonia so don't leave it in your bore long. A less powerful, but safer alternative is Butch's Bore Shine.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The SAFEST alternative is to soak your barrel in Kroil, which is a super penetrating oil overnight. I put 100 rounds through my Para .40 shooting FMJ, soaked it and then ran a patch down the bore and it looked like new. If you get more stubborn deposits that are burned on it may take more aggression, but Kroil seems to get under and lift off simple copper residue with zero abrasion.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Lycanthrope said:
Sweets is definately the most aggressive. It does, however, contain ammonia so don't leave it in your bore long. A less powerful, but safer alternative is Butch's Bore Shine.
Sweets is the nastiest stuff I ever saw. It not only stinks but it burns your skin. I can wash my hands in acetone with no problem, but that sweets just feels like battery acid. I'm not touching that Sweets crap again. I have two full bottles I'm going to give to the first person who will take it. BTW: it also did a lousy job cleaning the bores on my barrels.

I have Butch's and it isn't so bad. Shooters choice bore cleaner is pretty good. Hoppes #9 smells like perfume to my nose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts