1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how much life people get out of there kimber barrels - I have around 11K rounds through it and at 50' my groups seem to be opening up a bit. The gun was gone over several thousand rounds ago and got a new brown bushing and link, the barrel is still tight.

How much life have you guys had?

Anthony

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't have nearly as many rounds as you do, but the barrel of a low pressure cartridge, such as the 45 ACP, lasts a long time. I've heard of excellent accuracy after as many as 40 or 50,000 rounds. I suppose this all depends on what kind of ammo you shoot.

50' isn't very far, and after 11K rounds I wouldn't expect any noticeable loss of accuracy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I need to take a look at what I'm doing... maybe I'll take another 45 to the range and see how I do with that.

I was talking to guy who works at customs, they cut gun up at 10K rounds - figured they just didn't want to replace barrels.

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
Also check for copper fouling in the bore. If you can clean that out you might be amazed by the difference.

·
Registered
972 Posts
"I was talking to guy who works at customs, they cut gun up at 10K rounds - figured they just didn't want to replace barrels."

If you're talking about US Customs, I think this guy is blowing smoke up your skirts.

Frist, I find it hard to believe any modern handgun barrel is worn out at 10,000 rounds. I personally have put that many rounds through several handguns with no noticable loss of accuracy or reliability.

Second, if they are in fact "cutting up" guns it is probably for the anti-gun sentiment that we filthy, un-trustworthy civilians shouldn't be allowed to get our hands on anything as dangerous as a handgun.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Just curious. When a barrel starts to go what will happen? Will groups just open up or will they start to move in a certain direction?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When a barrel starts to go the groups begin to open up. However, when groups start to open up or shift it can be caused by things other than wear to the inside (rifling) of the barrel. For example, the locking lugs may be wearing, or the bushing may be worn, which may result in a loss of accuracy/precision but isn't because the inside of the barrel is worn.

My gunsmith (a 1911 smith) has told me that the lower lugs on the barrel wear and cause an accuracy loss before the inside of the barrel does. To deal with this, he machines the top inside surface of the slide stop pin down a bit and then fits the barrel. When the barrel lugs and slide stop pin wear, he simply replaces the pin with a full-diameter one and re-fits the barrel, thereby extending the accurate life of the barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts