1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just disassembled my Colt LW Commander and noticed that the barrel link was no longer attached to the barrel. The pin, however was in place and not loose. There was also no break in the link. How could this happen?

Do I take out the pin and place the link back? What will stop this from happening again?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, it is strange.

This is not a 'story'. It just happened. The pin is actually pretty tight. I'm sure I can tap it out, however it would have to be a strong tap.

It can't just imagine itself off the barrel, but it is a little mystifying. Guess it's sort of like politicians. You can never quite understand how the get elected; especially in those counties where there are more votes recorded than are registered.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obviously, the pin had to have come out in order for the link to disassemble. How did it the pin get back in place? It's the strangest thing that has happend to me with a firearm.

In any event, is there a special way to remove and then replace the pin?

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you have any friends that would be playing a sick joke on you because I don't see any other way the link could come off the barrel.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Obviously, the pin had to have come out in order for the link to disassemble. How did it the pin get back in place? It's the strangest thing that has happend to me with a firearm.

In any event, is there a special way to remove and then replace the pin?

Thanks!
Nope. Either way works

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Don't know about Colts, but the barrel I used from Storm Lake had instructions suggesting the direction to remove or install the pin.

·
Premium Member
14,474 Posts
Just disassembled my Colt LW Commander and noticed that the barrel link was no longer attached to the barrel. The pin, however was in place and not loose. There was also no break in the link. How could this happen?

Do I take out the pin and place the link back? What will stop this from happening again?

Thanks!
So in whose hands had this pistol been in between the last time you shot it, or have you ever shot this pistol? Not clear to this comical point. The pin can be drifted either way and only needs to be driven or pressed out to one side, just enough to slip the link in and press/drive it back. The lower lug needs to be supported when doing this. It can not happen without human intervention.

LOG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts