1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to 1911's, having purchased a Kimber Custom Eclipse 2 months ago. I have fired 900 rds. of factory ammo through it without one hitch, and have field stripped it a half dozen times. However, today when I field stripped it the barrel link and pin both fell from the barrel after pulling it from the slide.
Upon close inspection of the pin with a magnifying glass it appears that the bevel on one end of the barrel link pin is worn down almost flush. The other end of the pin is fine and still has it's bevel. The right side of the "link lug" (don't know if it is called that)on the barrel shows an eccentric wear around the upper rear portion of the hole. I did not notice any unusual wear on the frame in the slide stop area.
What would cause this, and is this anything to be alarmed about? Am I assembling the pistol incorrectly, like maybe missing the link pin hole when inserting the slide stop? Would the pistol even function if that happened? I would think at the very least the barrel link pin needs to be replaced. Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
I would say your barrel lugs aren't locking up correctly which puts too much strain on your link and pin. I would call the factory. Good luck

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
While it probably wouldn't hurt to call the factory and get their opinion, it may be as simple as just replacing the link pin.

FWIW, the link pin on my SA Champion fell out after 400 rounds (like you, when I field stripped it for cleaning). I ordered two Wilson pins through Brownell's, greased one up slightly and slipped it back in the factory link.

200 rounds later everything seems fine. Haven't been to the range lately

I think I paid about $2 each for the pins and you can never have enough spare parts.

Mac

·
Registered
61 Posts
A loose link pin is not at all unusual. I would not give it a second thought. some guns are loose, some are tight. your Kimber most likely will function for tens of thousands of rounds without a hitch. As for eccentric wear, I do not know how you determined that. the upper rear of the barrel lug is stressed only during lockup and for there to be any noticable wear in that area, you would almost have to beat your slide closed with a mallet to cause that kind of wear. don't worry, just shoot.
If you just can't stand having a loose link pin in your gun, replace it. or have a gunsmith peen it to fit. no problem. it is not a sign of excessive wear.
As for assembling your slide stop and missing the link, try it on purpose! just to see what happens! Your Bbl would stick out forward of the slide and the first time you racked the slide, it would be launched downrange.
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts